Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night when changing my fuel filter, the old one was so rusted and stuck in place I broke the clip on the fuel line that goes into the filter. It's the line that goes from tank to filter. I've tried to look online all night with no luck but is there a way to fix this besides putting a whole new line in? It's a 2005 with a V6, XLT Model.

The new filter does not have any spacers or anything on it but after looking at the old one once I cut it off, the old one has some sort of spacer on it leading me to believe at some point the previous owner had put the wrong one in.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Rather than going to the hussle of replacing a new fuel line, why you just bring the rusted filter to any parts store. I know for sure the clerk there will have an identical filter of the same size to what you have.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
FoMoCo uses proprietary fittings. So what's new. I would expect to have to go to a dealer or a boneyard for a replacement line.
In the past, they did sell a 'fuel line repair kit' or pieces and parts that would allow you to install new sections in the middle of a line, or add fittings to replace those damaged. Of course if your parts guy wanted to stiff you, s/he would tell you that you could only buy the complete assembly, from tank to fuel rail, not just the section from the tank to the filter. (They did and I walked.)
Anyway, a new or used from a similar model are the only options I see. I would do a boneyard search if you have access to a u-pull-it/u-pick style, so you can do the removal yourself and keep any bits of the clip/fittings that are needed. Other than that, dealer parts department. The 'repair parts' were noted in the shop manual I had available at the time, along with the procedure to perform the surgery. Currently I have no idea what Ford expects their techs to do in regard to fuel line.

A warning from my limited experience is this: The fuel line from the fuel tank sending unit to the fuel filter was VERY brittle. When I disconnected from the sender, I happened to drop the connector and line, about 5 inches. The fuel line SHATTERED. That's when I got acquainted with the parts guy at the local dealer. He was not helpful at all. So you are warned to be careful when messing around with plastic fuel lines.
tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts