Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon Escape-City,
I recently replaced my torn Cv axle on the driver side electric/Cvt transmission after reinstalling, I noticed a consistent leak of transmission fluid. That had not been a issue prior. The leak was coming directly from the seal that had not been removed.
I contacted Ford to order the appropriate output seal/ axle rubber seal. My local Autozone only carried the options for the gas powered 4 cylinder and V6 models they are not compatible, due to the hybrid Electric/CVT trans. After installing the new OEM seal it continued to leak.

* I noticed for the hybrid models the seal sits more recessed into the transmission not flush. Is this common?.
* I re- installed it to sit flush and the leak was more pronounced.
*I inspected the seal and noticed friction/ rubbing on the outer seal which was installed with grease/trans fluid.
*Upon the 3rd re-install, I used RTV red and fully seated the seal into the transmission. I'm currently waiting the 24 hours to refill the transmission with fluid.
* Another seal has been order through Ford Part#:5M6Z1177LA

My question is with an aftermarket axle could there be microns of difference in not properly supporting the seal against the transmission?. I'm weary of the RTV being a permanent fix if it works?. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Did you inspect the bushing inside, just behind the seal? On the 6F35, when it originally was introduced, they had problems with the seals. Apparently it was a problem with the bushing.
You can attempt to shake the axle close to the seal to determine its fit into the bushing. If you can move it around, either the axle diameter is too small, or the bushing is worn. It should have very minor play.
Did you happen to check the fit of the seal on the axle surface? If it was loose when you first install it, it likely won't seal to well. I cannot describe very well, but the seal should wipe the mating surface of the axle, not slide loosely. But not be grabby. A minimal force on a lightly lubed surface, but not so loose fluid can leak past. Oy.
Anyway, give the axle a shake near the side of the case, and if it moves, check the other, non-leaking (I assume) side for comparison.
If the bushing is bad, you may want to watch a youtube about cutting the bushing and worming it out of the case without having to drop the transmission. Makuloco may have done one on a 6F35, or not. Either way the procedure should be about the same, I think.
tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,
After removing the axle and inspecting the seal. There was no bushing behind the original seal or a inner ring bearing seen on later models. The diagram for the 2005 Hybrids only show the seal going into the transmission followed by the axle shaft. I'm not too familiar with particular model when ordering the correct part, I made sure to order what was in the diagram on Fordparts.com. I did notice upon removing the seal it sat more recessed into the transmission? Not flush. The seal does slide onto the axle shaft with little grip, I believe it's worn so another seal has been re-ordered. I tried reinstalling on the shaft and it sat flush but continue to leak more noticeably.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/seal-6521997-1

This is the seal for the transmission output shaft for the drivers side axle it's mostly rubber with the outer part being reinforced. There's grease present to help with the rotation of the axle. This part was verified specific to the 2005 hybrid and is identical to the original removed from the transmission. It's as simple as tapping in the seal and inserting the axle into the transmission?.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
When you put the axle into the transmission, does it wiggle freely, or does it seem firmly held in place with little movement?

You have the basic idea right on the money. Press/tap it into position in the side case, and re-insert the axle.

The shaft of the axle, the machined part that is/should be shiny, that stuffs into the transmission should ride on a bushing which is a cylinder in the diameter of the axle shaft, with varying length, depending on design. Most times the bushing will be brass, and around the circumference of the axle shaft. It surrounds the spline and axle(when installed) and keeps the axle aligned and centered.
If Ford did not use a bushing, then the axle would ride on the metal of the case, aluminum, but would still need to be held in place or you might get leakage and vibration. Does it wiggle? If not, replacing the seal should do the trick. If the axle surface has a groove worn into it, then you may get leakage from that if you align the groove with the lip of the seal. In that case you may want to drive the seal in slightly short of the original spot, or deeper, to avoid the lip being astride the groove.
tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tomw- Your advice was appreciated!.
This issue has been resolved.
* I ordered another * Seal with the part number stated above directly from Ford.
* Took a few hours to install to get it "flush" with the transmission output opening.
*Bought a new Cv axle from Orielly's upon specifying received the model "H" axle option.
*After installing and proper torque specs with the vehicle fully grounded, the CV axle had Zero play. *
Filled with 4.25 Quarts, there's no leaking trans fluids, which was clear with the prior install within minutes.

I was asked if my vehicle Vin had an "H" in its Vin, which is specific to the Hybrid, it did.
I asked if there was variance with Regular GAS/ Hybrids the associate didn't know.
I took careful attention on installing the seal without a seal press I used a 2 inch PVC pipe and methodically pressed it.
* As mentioned, I found the original seal seated 1/4 pass flush and installed it. It later leaked. The prior axle also had a play at the half-shaft when all four wheels were grounded. Leads me to believe the other tech at AutoZone gave me the regular gas option Cv shaft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, thank you for this thread. I have a 2005 Ford escape hybrid and also have the same problem. I changed the CV axle on both sides, and I'm leaking transmission fluid from the driver side axle that connects to the transmission. I pushed the CV axle as far as I can and the leaking stopped. After I drove it 10 miles I noticed it started leaking again. I did not replace the seal, but will look to get one ordered from Ford tomorrow. Will reinstall the axle with the new seal and hope the leak stops. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts