Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You won't have a low-fuel chime on 2007 and older models, unless you have the LCD message center (when it will chime and display "LOW FUEL").

2008+ models will chime, and if you have the message center, "LOW FUEL" will appear (and the display with brighten if the headlamps or parking lamps are on).

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've never driven the tank down far enough to find out. I've never seen the fuel light.
An empty tank can be bad news in cold weather :frozen:
You need heat if your ever stuck somewhere and I've always been told condensation in an empty tank can mean frozen fuel lines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Zombie thread resurrected but new owners of older Escapes need info too. 1st time seeing the low fuel indicator light come on today and needed to know how much fuel is left in the tank. The 2005 owners manual does NOT say how much fuel is left when the low fuel indicator light is on and fuel gauge is < 1/4 of a tank.

Used the search function and read a lot of threads to conclude 2.5 gal remains when the low fuel indicator light comes on.

·
Registered
873 Posts
11B-33T said:
1st time seeing the low fuel indicator light come on today and needed to know how much fuel is left in the tank. .
No way to be sure, or even know how each individual pickup will handle the same amount of fuel from one vehicle to another because of production variances. IOW, my truck may grab air at 1.5 gallons left and yours may draw fine at 1 gallon. Every pickup and sender is a bit different both mechanically and electrically. Also, I've noticed that mine will come on differently if I'm ascending a hill or descending.

The best thing to do is fill it up as soon as you get the notification and see how much fuel it takes. I've done this with every car I've acquired since I the first time I discovered my 1974 Monte Carlo ran dry at an indicated quarter tank in the middle of rush hour highway traffic.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply John. I always do a trip odometer vs. gallons filled hand calculation to determine MPG but I'd not had the fuel low indicator before and just wanted to know what buffer I had left if I was on a road trip. Not alot with this V6 it appears!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts