Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A known issue with the early Escape/Mariner Hybrid vehicles is the failure of the Motor Electronic Cooling System (MECS) pump. A number of owners have reported on issues with this item beginning somewhere around 50,000 miles. This is not covered under the Ford Hybrid Warranty but is covered under the standard 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. A repair at the Ford dealership could cost around $600.00 but the item itself has been reported to be purchased for under $200.00. The photos below may enable owners to repair this item without going thru the dealership.

One must drain the coolant fluid from the system prior to removing the pump.

This information came from the 2005 Escape Hybrid workshop (Helms) manual.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year vehicle do you own? How many miles are on it? The orginal MECS pump ran intermitten, the newer ones run all the time. Noise could be a symptom of one going south but a device such as Scanguage II can digitally display the temperature readings of your motor electronic cooling system and reveal if temperatures are not well controlled.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your 06 MECS Pump runs intermittenly. Are you sure the noise(s) is from the MECS pump? Are you receiving any "warnings" on your dash? Don't spend money for a new MECS pump until you document the electronic(s) are overheating and causing a warning "MIL" on the dash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 07 FEH and my traingle warning came on and it shut me down 3 time in 50 miles. I stopped turned the key off and restarted all three times. I pulled into a Ford dealer on my trip they diagnosed and said it was the transmission cooling pump and of course had no parts. But this problem never came back in the next 600 miles. Fluke or should I replace the pump?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread but it's a relevant question so I figure I'm safe.

How much coolant do I need to plan for? I have an '06 FEH that needs a new MECS pump and I can get the part for $170 so I'm doing it myself, just need to know how much fluid to buy.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should be able to change this pump without totally draining the coolant by clamping the coolant lines. Others have done this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts