Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 Tribble V6 AWD is leaking coolant and I need to replace the radiator. I just took a look at it and it seems it's doable without breaking down the AC condenser. Is this a straight R&R, or is there a hidden gotcha that I might need a special tool, a blind fastener, or some major disassembly?

Do I remove the radiator and fans as one unit, or do the fans come off first? Any insight appreciated.

John

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did mine a year or so ago on a 2003 and it was fairly straight forward , also i removed the front bumper plastic as it was only a few bolts and scrivets as i wanted to have a good look about (one does not have to remove the bumper) , it was good to have the bumper off though as it makes heaps of room to look about .

You'll be right !(y)

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
In the older shop manuals there was a section on the plastic end tanks. Mentioned was tightening the clamps holding the tank to the center section of tubes and fins. I did that to one some years ago, and clamping using vise-grips set to a smidge tighter than they were, to get equivalent clamping force on all the tabs worked for a few more years until the tank cracked.
I think the fans can be removed separate from the radiator. The condenser can be left in place. You will have to get some fitting tools that allow disconnect of the transmission cooler lines. The option is to get some plastic, as from an oil container, cut a strip, and shove it between the spring and the tube. With the spring moved out of the way(you have to push the tube into the fitting to lessen the tension) you can wiggle the fitting loose. Maybe. The tools are noting but a partial circle of metal (or plastic, depending on what you obtain) that displaces the spring to allow the tube to come out. Do not rotate the fittings screwed into the tanks. Rotation will damage the seals, and they are a 'hens teeth' item to find, almost as bad as the Teflon rings for the power steering fittings. Not cheap, either.
tom

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This has all squeeze circle clips for the coolant and trans hose connections. Are these safe to reuse or should I go to screw type clamps? Also, is the coolant for the 05 Tribute the same as the 05 Escape? A quick check entering Mazda into Google directed me to "Asian" specific car coolant.

John

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
I would re-use the clips if there was no sign of leakage. As far as I know, the 05 Tribute went down the same production line as the Escape. I doubt they imported 'Asian' variety for the Tributes. Very much.
I have an 07 that has the gold coolant. It is similar to or made by Zerex. It also is duplicated by Peak universal something... and of course Motorcraft. The gold was rated for 100k miles, but tested to 200k(or 150?). I got the Peak versin at NAPA. Not on the shelf, and had to ask for it.
If you replace the coolant, it's about a 10 quart system. If you want to get more than 50%, you will have to remove the 'freeze plugs' from the side of the block. The plugs are large-ish(to me) six-point inside hex. Like a big Allen wrench would fit if you had one. I just removed as much as I could, and added un-dilute gold to the mix to rejuvenate the additive package. So far so good..
If in doubt, check the owners manual. I bet a dollar to a donut that the coolant is not the Asian mix the parts stores push out the door. Could be the old green standby, but with aluminum block/heads, I doubt it.
tom

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an 07 that has the gold coolant......If in doubt, check the owners manual. I bet a dollar to a donut that the coolant is not the Asian mix the parts stores push out the door. Could be the old green standby, but with aluminum block/heads, I doubt it.
tom
I don't know if there's a difference between yellow or gold, but it was definitely one or the other in the reservoir tank - clearly not green. I have a gallon of Motorcraft gold on hand for my wife's Edge that I was planning on swapping. I'll double check before mixing. Thanks.

John

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more question: does anyone know if the radiator support is removable? There are two bolts on either side but I don't know right now if they allow removal of the support because they are also holding down the fender and head light lens.

John

·
Registered
111 Posts
One more question: does anyone know if the radiator support is removable? There are two bolts on either side but I don't know right now if they allow removal of the support because they are also holding down the fender and head light lens.

John
Don't remember , but guessing it all came apart easily that's one thing i do recall , there was no mystery involved and easy with the bumper off.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Went to RockAuto... and poked around. Looked up a 2005 escape. cooling system. coolant. think there were 3?, but they were 'gold'. 100k rated, but good for 150k.
Think the radiator drained ~6 or 8? Put in un-dilute when I fiddled. Mebbe a bit strong, but wanted at least a 50% mix. Seems to be ok so far and that was 45-50k miles ago. Wish memory worked better.
tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts