Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has wanted satellite radio, so I got her Sirius for Christmas. I took my Ford din tools to remove the stereo so I could access the back, and i can't get the left side to lock. I have jiggled and wiggled the tool to no avail. I have even had some buddies try, and it just stuck solid. I am able to pop the stereo out of my explorer with the same tools quite easily.

I am afraid one of the clips might be bent and I was wondering how I could access them?

Does the center console trim just "pop" off allowing me access?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Spray some PB Blaster in there. It will double as air freshener for weeks. :hyst: (just kidding). I really miss the Ford radios with U-shaped tools for removal. Gone are the days of pulling radio in 30 seconds (unless it's stuck of course).

Jpark (or someone) should know if that piece comes off. Try gently prying at it with your fingers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, the center console trim pops off, just did it now trying to figure out how to get radio out and if an iPod connector can be added. However, the wiring and vacuum hose harness are not long enough to do much. I'm at a loss of how to proceed.

From your description, I take it I need a special tool to remove the radio?

·
Registered
280 Posts
You can get DIN removal tools, which are really just U-shaped pieces of metal that you stick into the two pairs of holes on the sides of the radio. I've read that you can also just cut up a wire coat hanger, but haven't tried it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The J said:
You can get DIN removal tools, which are really just U-shaped pieces of metal that you stick into the two pairs of holes on the sides of the radio. I've read that you can also just cut up a wire coat hanger, but haven't tried it.
A custom coat hanger was the method I used when I did my audio system... I'm pretty sure when you are pulling the stereo outwards (towards you) you have to pull the tools apart, like the left tool is pulled gently toward the left door and the right tool toward the right door...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts