Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First hi Y'all,
Please Help! Ok I got this vehicle for a steal, cause some so called "mechanic" couldnt fix it. Well I did, at least that issue, which was no O ring seals around spark plugs, and I know theres a vacuum leak, probably around the intake manifold but havent ventured that deep yet. My serpentine belt broke, prior to that has a slight misfire that I had initially linked to the vacuum leak, until I was checking the sensors and noticed that my wiring harness was melted to part of my intake! So I repaired harness, replaced serpentine belt, and ckp (serpentine breakage caused by ckp wire.) After all is repaired crank no start! Inertia switch faulty, bypassed it temporarily. Gets fuel, doesn't seem to be getting spark. Tested coil packs they are good, connectors putting out juice. Spark plugs get gas, I am at a loss...dont know what else to try besides checking the gap on the plug

·
Registered
161 Posts
I assume that the grounds are solid between the engine and the chassis, since the starter works. There are sensors for the camshaft and the crackshaft position. These are involved in the spark plug timing. The ECU shows no error code?

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
If your crank position sensor is missing in action, you will get NO spark. It has to determine crank position, and then cam position, and once found, will enable the sparkers. If no CKP or CMP, no spark.
I would pull the codes, expecting one of those two to be MIA.
You can also check for 12V at the COPs with the ignition ON. Ditto the injectors, but harder to reach, and you said you had fuel(maybe it should be off too, as it needs CMP to know when to squirt...). The 12V on the COP is given a ground to power the field, and then it is removed to cause a spark. No 12V == no spark.
Maybe check the PDB - power distro box - under hood, or the under-dash fuse box for one of the sensor fuses being blown. It would make sense for the CKP fuse to be cooked if the wires were chewey. Easy to cause a short if the insulation is damaged, then blow the fuse... etc. Checking those might be an even quicker solution find.
tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts