Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can turn on my air conditioner then start my car, get out and in about 15 seconds a noise will start near the metal shield at the back. It only happens when the air conditioner is on. I did have the valve cover gasket replaced about 3 months ago and perhaps something is loose or vibrating.It sounds like metal rubbing against something. https://flic.kr/p/2nmzeN9

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
500 Posts
I can turn on my air conditioner then start my car, get out and in about 15 seconds a noise will start near the metal shield at the back. It only happens when the air conditioner is on. I did have the valve cover gasket replaced about 3 months ago and perhaps something is loose or vibrating.It sounds like metal rubbing against something.
Even though there is not one, It sounds like a fan is spinning, hitting that metal heat shield.
It sounds more prominent below the oil filler cap?
Have you tried adjusting the blower speed to see if that changes it at all?
If you can remove that heat shield, it might illuminate the problem… It almost kind of sounds like a loose/dropped bolt is in there vibrating somehow.
That 15sec time delay could be the compressor starting, have you noticed any coincidence like that?

Honestly, If it was not occurring before the work was done, I would bring it back to the shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response.I took some zip ties and pulled up tight anything (Dryer accumulator, hoses, metal tubes, which looked like they could rub against each other or something on the body. Found solid frame and pulled them up tight preventing the rubbing or vibrating. That solved the issue.. I used 4 ties. I have high hopes this fixed it. It did not make the sound with the fan on.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
500 Posts
Thanks for your response.I took some zip ties and pulled up tight anything (Dryer accumulator, hoses, metal tubes, which looked like they could rub against each other or something on the body. Found solid frame and pulled them up tight preventing the rubbing or vibrating. That solved the issue.. I used 4 ties. I have high hopes this fixed it. It did not make the sound with the fan on.
Thank you for updating the city, John!
I would also make sure there is no place you could abrade a wire loom, rupture a hose rubbing on a piece of metal, or something, creating a new issue. Ziptie a thick piece of plastic(cut up tupperware, or 5gal bucket) as an abrasion guard, any place that metal rubs something that is not, or even could possibly

wrap anything now near heat source 5 wraps with tinfoil, secured with baling wire

1 - 4 of 4 Posts