Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright my O/D Off light just started flashing. What are the chances my transmission is completely shot? I really don't want to shell out money for a replacement. I do have a warranty but need to go over the fine print as it is done by a 3rd party. Any ideas for what I should look for? It has 168,000km on it right now. I was planning to put a filter on it a month from now but guess I am too late. Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You could check your trans fluid...see if it has lost any, or if it smells burnt or is badly discoloured. Either way, your absolute best option is get it to a dealership so they can check it properly.
The o/d light flashing on mine pretty much only gave me time to drive home (about 500kms) from a recent trip before the trans gave up the ghost in my driveway.

Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fluid level is full. Maybe even a bit more. Didn't smell burnt but was very thin. Was more of a reddish colour then brown. I haven't touched the transmission since I got it 6 months ago. I have 150km left on my warranty. Really cutting it close. They will only cover $800 of the repair. How much does this typically cost to have it rebuilt?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Deranged said:
Fluid level is full. Maybe even a bit more. Didn't smell burnt but was very thin. Was more of a reddish colour then brown. I haven't touched the transmission since I got it 6 months ago. I have 150km left on my warranty. Really cutting it close. They will only cover $800 of the repair. How much does this typically cost to have it rebuilt?
In Australia it cost me $3000 to have a reconditioned trans fitted.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
As christophera said your transmission is just about saying goobye.In order to postpone the final adios you may try the Lucas transmission maintainance conditioner.It is sold in quarts and need two of them.
1/Unplug the transmission drain bolt.About 3-4 quarts will come out and not more.
2/screw the drain bolt back.
3/Add from the transmission check-fill neck using an appropriate funnel both quarts of the Lucas additive.
4/Make sure the handbrake is on.
5/Start and warm up the engine.
6/Shift through all gear positions with the brakes applied.Wait for 5 seconds at each gear position.Repeat that process three times.
7/Turn the engine off.
8/After waiting for a minute check the transmission fluid level and fill up with Mercon ATF.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.