Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2007 4WD XLT and it did not have the towing package. Getting a hitch to tow my boat doesn't seem to be a problem but wiring the Escape seems to be a problem. Dealers don't seem to know exactly what is needed even if they have a VIN. Some talk up the price and leave you wondering if you are going to blow out the computer. I have a wire that runs from the rear driver's side behind the bumper. I don't know if it is a wire for a trailer connection or if it is something else? It seems to be secured? I tugged on it and nothing came out from behind the bumper post. I was afraid to yank on it for fear of breaking something important (power door lock, rear brakng light, rear windshield wiper, etc.) loose? I just found this Escape City site and it appears that some of you folks know more than the dealers do. Go figure... Any suggestions? Thanks. - lynnius maximus

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Well you can check things. You can see if there is power going to the connectors by pinning out each one and seeing if there is a 12v signal. You should have 4 holes: Left Turn, Right turn, running lights, and ground. And/or you can check to see if you have the correct relays under the hood. But you would have to check your manual for that and the same thing here you are looking for Left Turn, Right turn and running lights (trailer lights) (3 relays)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oskerb said:
Well you can check things. You can see if there is power going to the connectors by pinning out each one and seeing if there is a 12v signal. You should have 4 holes: Left Turn, Right turn, running lights, and ground. And/or you can check to see if you have the correct relays under the hood. But you would have to check your manual for that and the same thing here you are looking for Left Turn, Right turn and running lights (trailer lights) (3 relays)
Thanks for your reply but if you haven't already ascertained... you're dealing with a rookie! I have not determined a few things from your reply:
1. connectors by pinning out each one? I have a covered wire that goes behind the bumper post and it doesn't want to come out to see if it has a connector on its end. I'm afraid to yank it out for fear it is something other than a trailer hookup. Where would an installed connector be located if it is provided? I can't tell if the covered wire ends behind the bumper post or continues elsewhere and operates something else. If I had a connector I could check the pins with my VOM but I haven't found a connector, just a wire.

2. There are relays and fuses in the control box under the hood. The left, right and park relays cited in the owners manual are there and the turn signals and brake lights are working OK but I am left with the impression that other relays are necessary to properly wire for a trailer? I have wired my 1999 Caravan simply by hooking into the appropriate tailight wires without any fear of blowing up a computer. Why is it that newer cars have to be so complicated?

Thanks again Oskerb and any one else who cares to contribute to my education. - Lynnius Maximus

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oskerb said:
An update about 3 weeks later: I finally crawled my carcass back under and got a pair of grip pliers on the connector. It pulled off a plastic mount that was in the brace. It was a round 4-pin connector with protective cap. The wires are typical trailer wires, i.e. green, yellow, brown and black. I stuck a VOM to each pin and had the wife do the lights, left, right, brake thing but got nothing, to my dismay. It looks as though Ford customarily installed this wire on the 2007 XLT for those who would install the towing package? Any suggestions? Is there a simple remedy? The Class III hitch is already installed. U-Haul did it for about the same price as a Draw Tite or Reese uninstalled (about $175 installed). If I were younger I might have been tempted to do more crawling but for $50 bucks my 69 year old butt was happy to have U-Haul do it! :)

There appear to be the 3 relays but yet no power to the connector? Nothing inside the connector moved the needle on the VOM.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You can buy pre-engineered wiring harnesses that'll plug in [or crimp] to your factory wiring so you can have painless trailer wiring with no guessing and no issues. If you haven't already you can contact etrailer.com - link to 2007 Escape wiring with questions.

Based on the etrailer website it looks like a $55-ish harness will get you up and running in no time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts