Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all 2007 Escapes have a wimp of a horn.. The sound that it makes is not indicative of the size of the truck maybe good for a Yaris or smaller car. Any one has changed it? I haven't looked to see where it's located,but in spring time that is one thing I am gonna change.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
I've had three Escapes a 2001, a 2004, and my current 2006 and they all had whimpy horns. Changing them out shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
The 08 horn is wimpy too !! :yes:

Definitely not impressed with it and plan to have mine changed as well !!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I guess the av. car horn is a wbout 100-110 db. I've wondered about adding a motocycle horn for a unique ear splitter.
This is a full-power railroad locomotive/ocean liner type compressed air horn squeezed into a bike-mountable package. Totally overkill, until you need to wake up some lethal driver. It's got both the high and low ear-splitting tones of the individually sold Fiamm Freeway Blaster Horns, plus a little more oomph. The 139dB high and low tone blasters combine via air induction to cut through the din and make the most distracted of drivers drop their cell phones and pay attention.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone had posted a link of an online company that sells all types of horns and you can even sample some by hearing them... I can't remember where I saw it. :confused:

·
Registered
390 Posts
I always thought my Tribby horn was pretty good. Never really thought about it though, even though I'm really quick to use it :angel:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
:) :hyst: :clap: :thumb: :yahoo: Thank you for that link Mike50. Yes! That is sort of how i would like my escape horn to sound. There are different horns i am partial to. The tugboats. Semi - trailers. My favourite is the horns on diesel freight trains.

He puts on his earmuffs hearing protection. :lol: :clap:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don;t you start permanent hearing loss after 100db?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mike i gotta say, I love your escape. I have the some one except it's an '03 Limited (Black)

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Mike50 said:
Do all 2007 Escapes have a wimp of a horn.. The sound that it makes is not indicative of the size of the truck maybe good for a Yaris or smaller car. Any one has changed it? I haven't looked to see where it's located,but in spring time that is one thing I am gonna change.
Ford started installing single-note horns in some 2007 E/M/Ts (by leaving out the extra high-note horn that they had installed on 2005-2006 models) and in all 2008+ E/M/Ts.

Here's a single-note horn:

On 2007 (and some 2006) models with single-note horns (it's a "low-note"), the single-note horn is on the left (driver) side, under the front bumper cover to the right of the radiator (C1101 in the diagram below). Take a look under the right (passenger) side of the bumper cover, and you may see the same connector with no horn connected to it (C1102 in the diagram below).

If you see a one-wire connector with a DARK BLUE wire where C1102 is located, and if the wire shows +12V from ground when you hit the horn, order Ford's 5L8Z-13801-AA "high-note" horn. You should see a threaded hole for it to the left (passenger side) of the radiator, and a smaller, non-threaded hole about 1/2" away. You'll need to buy a bolt with the same thread size as the bolt that secures the driver-side horn. Once it's secured, just plug it in. Now you have the same dual-note horns that Ford installed in earlier Escapes (including the 2005 Limited that I had).

On 2008 models, you can replace the single-note horn with the dual-note horn from the Edge. The Edge horn has both high- and low-note horns on one bracket, with one connector. It's the same connector used on the 2008 Escape's single-note horn, so it's plug-and-play. The only physical difference is the bracket, which has a locator offset 90 degrees.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=943&p=22066&hilit=edge+horn#p22066

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
HMMM! I still like that horn in the car, where that bloke is wearing earmuffs. :) Have not heard anything like that in adelaide as yet. Can guarantee it would make me jump, if someone drove up behind and gave it a blast. :lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
that cruise ship horn is excellent! i must admit i have before been a bit embarrassed about the mavericks lame horn, it just doesnt cut it when you want to display your frustration!

i take it the horn is standalone (on a <2005 car) and a straight swap wouldnt interfere with the alarm system etc?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts