Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Factory step bars are available as a Ford Accessory, part number 8L8Z-16450-AB, which includes all hardware.

How to remove the factory rocker panels

The following parts are required, and are included in the accessory step bar kit:
1 - 16451 - Running board
2 - N808328 - Body-to-running board bracket screw
3 - W701834 - Running board bolts (4 required)
4 - Push clips
5 - 16C469 - Running board trim bezel

Removal and Installation

1) With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .

2) Release the running board trim bezel push clips and remove the running board trim bezel.

3) Remove the 4 running board bolts and remove the running board.
* To install, tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).

4) Remove the body-to-running board bracket screw.
*To install, tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

5) To install, reverse the removal procedure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am interested in taking off my Factory Step Bars (intrgral running boards) on my 2009. I ordered them with the car from the factory, but really now would rather have chrome tubes. It is safe to say that if I remove the running boards that I will need to buy the plastic "rocker panel" you speak of here to trim out the car before I put on the new chrome tube bars, right???

Know anyone in the San Diego area that wants to trade running boards for the plastic trim??

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bethenys said:
I am interested in taking off my Factory Step Bars (intrgral running boards) on my 2009. I ordered them with the car from the factory, but really now would rather have chrome tubes. It is safe to say that if I remove the running boards that I will need to buy the plastic "rocker panel" you speak of here to trim out the car before I put on the new chrome tube bars, right???

Know anyone in the San Diego area that wants to trade running boards for the plastic trim??
Yes, you will need to replace the factory running boards with the factory rocker panel trim. Since they're around $175 to $200 each, you should put up a thread in the Swap 'N Shop section.

Don't lose the filler piece on each side.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Thanks for that information JPark. Much appreciated. At least i now, can anticipate what the service technician will do. Considering my escape is not being traded in, have decided to upgrade the existing side steps. Those ' Bladerunner' running boards have enticed me. My relations are happy now, because i am keeping the escape. Eventually i intend to have the ' Lightforce HID240' spotlights installed.

The spotties are very expensive, so i will designate them as a last priority. But the replacement of sidesteps is definitely a benefit. Obviously they will not be pricey, as state of the art spotlights. Hello escapedtroy. Thanks for submitting that photo. Hope you don't mind, but your bladerunner steps have me bugged. My current factory ford standard steps are functional, but their image is a bit too stock standard.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Arc2519 said:
jpark said:
Is this procedure essentially the same for a 2006 Escape XLT? I want to remove running boards on mine. Will I need to put rockers on after they are removed? Thanks!
You won't have to. If I recall correctly, it's six bolts on each side that hold the bars to the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Arc2519 said:
Thanks! I can't crawl under the car to check. :)
2007 and earlier step bars are attached with three beams (you can probably see them) and they simply bolt up to the undercarriage. Life was easier before. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick question, hoping someone can help. I am buying a set of running boards (2008) off a guy and he claims that if I am swapping out my rocker panels for the running boards, all the necessary bolts are already on the car and I just need to pop on the boards. he says that when he bought them, all he got were the running boards.
Has anybody bought the running board kit 8L8Z-16450-AB? Is it just boards and the trim piece or is there some other hardware I should be looking for?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
IIRC there is supposed to be a long thin trim filler piece that hides the bolts that you would use to mount it to the car. If you look at the initial post of the thread, I'd say it's #5 in the picture.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I inherited a 2008 Escape XLT and am trying to remove the factory running boards to fix some rust, etc. The instructions in this thread are good but I cannot access the photos. Not sure if I'm doing things correctly... but I cannot seem to figure out how to remove the running boards. Is there a way to get better instructions or photos that I can follow? Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does this procedure apply to the 2010 model? I'm only 5ft tall and the running boards are in my way getting in and out of the car. I have a black 2010 Mercury Mariner and a green 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. I was hoping to remove the running boards from the 2010 Mariner that I'm driving and put them on the 2008 Escape they I plan to sell. Would that work? Will I need some kind of black trim for the Mariner if I remove the running boards?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts