Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removal and Installation

CAUTION: Prior to removal of the front bumper cover, place tape at the corners of the bumper cover and below the headlamps to prevent damage to the paint.

1) With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.

2) Remove the 6 scrivets from inside the front splash shield (3 each side).

3) Remove the 4 fender splash shield-to-air deflector bolts (2 each side).
* To install, tighten to 5 Nm (44 lb-in).

4) Remove the 3 air deflector bolts.

5) Remove the 2 front bumper cover center scrivets from the front bumper cover.

6) Disconnect the fog lamp electrical connectors, if equipped.

7) Remove the 2 front bumper cover upper bolts and the front bumper cover.
* To install, tighten to 8 Nm (71 lb-in).

8) To install, reverse the removal procedure.
* Position the front bumper cover.
* Push inward on the sides of the bumper cover near the bottom corner of the headlamp until you feel the bumper cover snap onto the bumper slides.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is the cover in question this ugly one? If so, do the bumpers look just like the XLT bumper underneath? Is it painted I hope?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That part, called a "cover molding", is separate from the main bumper cover.

The service DVD doesn't show any removal or installation steps for that part, so I don't know how it's fastened, or what's underneath it.

But take a look under the four openings in the center of that panel. There are two upward-pointing screws (red arrows, below) that also secure part of the bumper cover. My guess is that those screws may be the only parts you need to remove, and then look for upper and lower hook-shaped tabs. Another guess: the lower part of that molding may be sandwiched between the spolier and the lower part of the bumper cover by the two more upward-facing screws (blue arrows, below). Also, if there are tabs holding parts of that molding to the bumper cover, remove them very carefully so that you don't scratch the cover.

Since it's an add-on part, I'm also guessing that you have a solid painted bumper cover underneath it.

The Parts.com database shows that part in an illustration:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... atalogid=2

That's a $350 part, brand-new, so you should be able to sell it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey, that's my rig? :doh:

I like the chrome piece....But won't knock anyone who doesn't :peace: Let us know what comes of it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I dig that chrome piece too, kinda wish my XLS had it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sadly, the bumper underneath is neither painted or is the same as the non-LTD vehicles. The part is in place with hooked tabs. I removed the parts around it to gain accesss (Grille and Spoiler) I have a silver Escape and all the chrome is a bit much,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone tell me what part number 9 is called in the picture? I have a 2008 and I just clipped a fence, breaking that plastic piece causing the bumper to hang. The only difference is I need the passenger side, which I believe might be number 10 in the picture. The bumper looks to clip in to this piece, and this piece actually clips in to the truck. Also, would you know where to get it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm new here and hate to see that the member540519 person got left hangin'. Bummer. I've got an 08 Hybrid and mine doesn't seem to have a front bumper. Lotsa plastic, but no bumper to protect the various fenders and fairings. Kind of a bummer, but I knew it would happen. Maybe I'll make one, and if so, I'll post a picture and a bit of "how-to".

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
roofgoof said:
Also how similar are these instructions to removing a 2006 bumper cover?

Thanks in advance!
Roofgoof, sorry for the delay. Though similar, the 2006 is probably going to be more similar to a 2001-2004. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=879&hilit=2007+bumper#p20258

hcbflash said:
I'm new here and hate to see that the member540519 person got left hangin'. Bummer. I've got an 08 Hybrid and mine doesn't seem to have a front bumper. Lotsa plastic, but no bumper to protect the various fenders and fairings. Kind of a bummer, but I knew it would happen. Maybe I'll make one, and if so, I'll post a picture and a bit of "how-to".
What do you mean that you don't have a front bumper? Without a front bumper, all your engine internals should be completely exposed.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hcbflash said:
I'm sure that nobody left him "hanging" intentionally. There are so many posts on this site that questions like this get lost easily as new posts arrive. If I had seen this, I would have responded. No forum can guarantee responses from members.

Here's a parts list for a 2006 Escape's front bumper.

http://tinyurl.com/4ymxmw6

And here's a parts list for a 2008 Escape's front bumper.

http://tinyurl.com/63zehq3

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Tang said:
roofgoof said:
Also how similar are these instructions to removing a 2006 bumper cover?

Thanks in advance!
Roofgoof, sorry for the delay. Though similar, the 2006 is probably going to be more similar to a 2001-2004. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=879&hilit=2007+bumper#p20258

hcbflash said:
What do you mean that you don't have a front bumper? Without a front bumper, all your engine internals should be completely exposed.
Maybe he's pining for the days of *true* bumpers - you know, those huge steel behemoths that could walk away from a low speed crash without so much as a scratch :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
yeah, I'm sorry that I've become the old man, and that everybody now thinks that a bunch of snap-together plastic parts are normal parts of a car bumper (or even a car body). Behemoth? they don't need to be, nor particularly heavy, but a cars front bumper that weighs no more than a valve cover is NOT a bumper in reality.

Seriously, why did they ever start putting bumpers on cars in the first place, and what were the vehicles intended for that had minimal bumpers as opposed to larger ones? I'm not the automotive tutor here, I'm the consumer that doesn't like getting less and less for his buck.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
hcbflash said:
yeah, I'm sorry that I've become the old man, and that everybody now thinks that a bunch of snap-together plastic parts are normal parts of a car bumper (or even a car body). Behemoth? they don't need to be, nor particularly heavy, but a cars front bumper that weighs no more than a valve cover is NOT a bumper in reality.

Seriously, why did they ever start putting bumpers on cars in the first place, and what were the vehicles intended for that had minimal bumpers as opposed to larger ones? I'm not the automotive tutor here, I'm the consumer that doesn't like getting less and less for his buck.
All cars still have bumpers, and quite effective ones to boot - they're just located behind the bumper cover.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
slavrenz said:
All cars still have bumpers, and quite effective ones to boot - they're just located behind the bumper cover.
What he said. You'd be surprised how much engineering goes into the space between the engine and the front of the plastic, "cosmetic" bumper.

·
Registered
205 Posts
jpark said:
Removal and Installation

CAUTION: Prior to removal of the front bumper cover, place tape at the corners of the bumper cover and below the headlamps to prevent damage to the paint.

1) With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.

2) Remove the 6 scrivets from inside the front splash shield (3 each side).

3) Remove the 4 fender splash shield-to-air deflector bolts (2 each side).

4) Remove the 3 air deflector bolts.

5) Remove the 2 front bumper cover center scrivets from the front bumper cover.

6) Disconnect the fog lamp electrical connectors, if equipped.

7) Remove the 2 front bumper cover upper bolts and the front bumper cover.
* To install, tighten to 8 Nm (71 lb-in).

8) To install, reverse the removal procedure.
* Position the front bumper cover.
* Push inward on the sides of the bumper cover near the bottom corner of the headlamp until you feel the bumper cover snap onto the bumper slides.
I have followed all the steps to removing my bumper cover on my 2008 XLT but cant seem to get it off the side clips.Can anyone tell me the procedure to getting it out of the clips without breaking them? Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey guys I was talking to a friend of mine tijoeg and he found this video that shows how to get the front bumper cover off.Click the link below to see the video. :rockon:

[mod]Embedded video for easier viewing - RobtRoma[/mod]

I also saw someone else looking for a how to on older models so here is a link to another video for 2001-07.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts