Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently the chrome parts on my 2009 Mariner are just all determined to shred my fingers as much as possible. I've replaced both front interior door handles because the chrome plating peels and is SHARP. Now the chrome trim on the shifter is starting to do the same thing and I want to take care of it before it draws any more blood.

If it helps, This image shows the chrome on the shifter: http://cdn.pinthiscars.com/images/mercury-mariner-interior-wallpaper-6.jpg. Does anyone know what part this would be that I need to search for? I only need the chrome strip, I don't want to spend a ton of money on the entire assembly if that's possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jarheadoo7 said:
40.00 shipped on eBay

Search item number: 200887087027
Thanks for that! So it's looking like I'd have to replace the entire shifter? That kinda sucks, especially since I'd be buying used. No telling if the "new" one would start peeling right away anyway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So after waiting forever, I finally pulled the trigger on this. I did end up having to buy the entire floor shifter assembly, which I wasn't really wanting to do. I got one on an ebay sale but it still seemed wasteful. I just pulled the handle apart to get at the single piece of trim I wanted to swap, and I'm happy with the result. This is the third piece of chrome trim in the cabin that I've had to replace due to bubbling up into a really sharp hazard. Hopefully it's the last.

Anyway, I attached some photos if anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
So after waiting forever, I finally pulled the trigger on this. I did end up having to buy the entire floor shifter assembly, which I wasn't really wanting to do. I got one on an ebay sale but it still seemed wasteful. I just pulled the handle apart to get at the single piece of trim I wanted to swap, and I'm happy with the result. This is the third piece of chrome trim in the cabin that I've had to replace due to bubbling up into a really sharp hazard. Hopefully it's the last.

Hello - I know this is an old thread but so far it is the closest thing I can find to solving my issue. I have a 2011 Escape and this center "chrome" piece has peeled and slices my hand. I thought I would have to rip apart the center console and replace the entire thing but looking at this it seems I can just pull out the part and replace it or paint it. How is this piece removed, just by prying? Looks like it can be pried out by those photos but I'm not sure. Is there anywhere that sells just this middle accent piece or would I have to buy a used one and remove the unpeeled one from that and swap it?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
587 Posts
Hello - I know this is an old thread but so far it is the closest thing I can find to solving my issue. I have a 2011 Escape and this center "chrome" piece has peeled and slices my hand. I thought I would have to rip apart the center console and replace the entire thing but looking at this it seems I can just pull out the part and replace it or paint it. How is this piece removed, just by prying? Looks like it can be pried out by those photos but I'm not sure. Is there anywhere that sells just this middle accent piece or would I have to buy a used one and remove the unpeeled one from that and swap it?

Thanks!
welcome Kwak,
based on the other poster, it sounds like you would have to buy the entire thing, unless you go to a salvage yard where you could lift just that centerpiece out… Me personally, I would just take it out of there and trash it… Or get some plasty dip in a small can, or superglue clear gel(If you want to preserve what chrome is left, and still see it)
put it on in several layers after you remove any flaking material

most of the ones sold on eBay are without the chrome, I am guessing for obvious reasons. There is one with chrome that is actually less than 100 bucks though, search this.
Floor Shifter Assembly Ford Fits Escape Mariner w/ Chrome Insert # AL8Z7210BA

Reactions: Kwakadilly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! II may see if there is any escapes at the salvage yard to lift the center piece from. If not I may try the plasty dip method, but if I opt to replace the entire thing I will just pay the premium to get a new one from Ford.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi Zeniq. This seems like a long shot knowing that it has been 4 years since your post. I'm having a similar issue here so really appreciate your advice. How did you exactly "pull the handle apart to get the single piece of trim"? I probably will go the same way - purchase the whole shifter assembly if I have to.

Note: I'm from the middle east where most of the parts are just impossible to get from both dealers and junk yards (aren't many).

Thank you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Zeniq. This seems like a long shot knowing that it has been 4 years since your post. I'm having a similar issue here so really appreciate your advice. How did you exactly "pull the handle apart to get the single piece of trim"? I probably will go the same way - purchase the whole shifter assembly if I have to.

Note: I'm from the middle east where most of the parts are just impossible to get from both dealers and junk yards (aren't many).

Thank you.
It's been quite a while since I did this, and I actually don't have the car any more. I'm sorry, I've been thinking about it all morning, and I even checked to see if I have the shifter assembly that I got off eBay (I don't, I must have tossed it at some point). I just don't remember what the process is to replace the trim.

I vaguely remember having to pry the side of the handle off, like it was just held in place with friction tabs or something, which revealed how to release the chrome trim. But honestly that could be a false memory on my part.

*Edit: Looking at the photos I posted, I think my memory was right. I think the right side of the shifter handle pries off, which lets you slip the chrome trim out to the right, and slip the replacement back in.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
It's been quite a while since I did this, and I actually don't have the car any more. I'm sorry, I've been thinking about it all morning, and I even checked to see if I have the shifter assembly that I got off eBay (I don't, I must have tossed it at some point). I just don't remember what the process is to replace the trim.

I vaguely remember having to pry the side of the handle off, like it was just held in place with friction tabs or something, which revealed how to release the chrome trim. But honestly that could be a false memory on my part.

*Edit: Looking at the photos I posted, I think my memory was right. I think the right side of the shifter handle pries off, which lets you slip the chrome trim out to the right, and slip the replacement back in.
Thanks for the update!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts