Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Hybrid FWD, gray, nav and premium sound, 120,000
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2008 escape hybrid with the nav/6disc system and sub which I assume means it has the audiophile system. When I turn the vehicle on, it interrupts and says, "Click on hang up". However, this car does not have the steering wheel controls on the right side, which I understand to be where the "hang up" button would normally be located. My current speculation is that the previous owner replaced the airbag by replacing the steering wheel, and consequentially removed existing controls that the vehicle is now asking for. Is this probably correct?
My other question is about how the phone system works. There is a microphone installed above the rearview mirror, and I can't tell if it's factory or aftermarket. To my understanding, SYNC was only installed starting in the 2009 model year, so what does this Escape have to do with a phone in the first place?
And one last thing. Is there any way to fix the CD ejector once it breaks? I would like to eject the current ones and play some on occasion but it's not a big deal. I understand old 6 disc changers are very susceptible to failure due to their complication.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Looking at your video in your intro post, some weird things.

You are right, you should have audio controls on the right side of the steering wheel for the navigation system. Actually for every trim and configuration 2008 Hybrid there should be the audio controls.

That microphone is not OEM. The manual for the 2008 Pioneer Navigation also mentions SYNC (if equipped), but as you state, 2009 was the first year for SYNC. 2009-2012 the mic is in the rearview mirror. It shows 2008 if built after a 2009 date...

If it has SYNC then when you press the Phone button on the nav surround controls it should either show no phones connected, you should be able to go to Settings and Add to search and add a phone via Bluetooth.

And only on 2009 is there steering control for "hang up" if you have SYNC, 2008 has audio up, audio down, forward/back, and media. 2009 with SYNC makes vol up/down one button, fwd/back, voice command/media, and hangup/Ok.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
The first thing I would do is hook up an elm327, fire up forscan and see what it says. If the steering wheel controls were removed the radio would have a Bxxxx code stored indicating a circuit failure for the redundant audio controls. It is very unlikely that sync is installed, but it is possible to do on an '08 if enough parts are swapped (ask me how I know). Forscan would tell you if a sync module is present as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the late reply. I just went back out there tonight and scanned it with Forscan. It identifies as the ACM and returns a code related to the nav DVD, and I discovered that the nav DVD will not eject (it says the screen will open when I hit the on-screen "open" button, but nothing happens).
If I try to give it an on-demand self test, it immediately rejects with a message that conditions are not right. I would try with the engine on except that the cooling system is currently apart. I checked the live information display and it lists mute, phone, and voice steering wheel buttons, none of which I can actuate. I would try to flash it with the as-built configuration, but I don't currently have an extended license, and I'm not sure what it would do as far as steering wheel controls until I can take the steering wheel apart to look at the plugs.
At this point, my hypothesis is that the previous owner tried to retrofit the audiophile system headunit and woofer from out of a 2009, and they added some aftermarket microphone to it. I guess I could also take the radio out to see if there are spliced wires hinting to anything. Is there anywhere I could find a window sticker or build sheet that would show if it had the system from the factory? Or is there a different part number where I could see through Forscan that the radio was from a later model year? Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This decoder is good for a lot, but doesn't seem specific on audio build:
I looked at the 2008 sales brouchure and Audiophile was a stand alone option, so that didn't help.
The brouchure shows the phone controls but doesn't note it anywhere? -odd.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
There was definitely stuff done, as mentioned, the 2008 Hybrid was not available without the audio controls on the steering wheel. Navigation contains all parts of the Audiophile setup plus adds navigation (and on Hybrid, the Hybrid state/information view). In Forscan it should show the engineering number of the ACM, interested in seeing if it is an 08 or an 09. If it starts with an 8xxx then 2008, 9xxx then it is 2009 (or A-C is 2010-2012).

Reactions: vpasla1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got out there today. Here are my findings.
First of all, I don't know if there's an error in the brochure or if we are very unlucky, but I have 3 2008 hybrids sitting out here and not a single one of them has steering wheel audio controls. However, all of them are wrecked in the front, one we know has had the airbag replaced, and the other was wrecked badly and incompletely fixed so it's possible. It's just getting really weird around here and I wish I knew some full backstories.
I just went out and scanned it again. Here is what it says the configuration is:

ACM - Audio Control Module
Part number: 8L8T-18K931-AF
Strategy : 8L8T-14C164-CB
Calibration: 8L8T-14C165-AC
Software version: v4

And the radio in the system info section says this:
HW: 8L8T-18K931-AF
SW: 3.060000

This time when I told it to eject the nav CD (which it said it didn't recognize), it actually lowered the screen and I got it out with some help rubbing on it with another DVD. Previously it had failed to even do anything when I hit open. The DVD that came out appears to be an actual nav DVD, but it's really badly scratched up. From googling the numbers on it, it seems to be the latest update to the nav information on this radio, released around 2014.

I also managed to help the CD in slot 1 out with a couple of screwdrivers. Since I did, it has been acting even weirder, with nothing ever happening that I try to get it to do. It can't even read the CDs it has anymore, and it is constantly making motor noises even for a couple minutes after the key is out.

I got a forscan extended license and tried to flash as-built configuration to the radio, as I have already reset it a couple times. The battery turned out to be too low and I didn't want to risk it because I figured that may actually be the reason for the ejector motors getting worse. The car is still in pieces at the moment and I want to avoid turning it on as some cooling components that turn on with the key sound sad when empty of fluid.

There is a wire sticking out of the crevice between trim panels on top of the radio that you might be able to see in the video. At first I assumed it was there to prevent a rattle but it might be coming from something around the radio. The wire looks empty though so I'm not sure.

Another note, is the audiophile system supposed to have tweeters? I can't spot any on the A-pillar or mirror trims. Although I doubt this system was retrofitted missing them as everything else works except for the audio controls, including hybrid system view in the headunit and Audiophile announcement on the HUD.

I've seen some threads about retrofitting audio controls. Are the wires in the steering wheel already on all models? I'm wondering, if the steering wheel was swapped from controls to no controls, would I be able to tell if it had them at some point?

At this point, it's so convoluted and confusing that I am probably going to just take out the radio and see what's back there, and if I can figure it out I will fix it, or if not I will just tear it all out and go aftermarket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts