Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Escape XLT. I have many of the common problems that people have discussed and remedied on this site. I have read through almost every post here over the past several months. I am not that mechanically inclined so am looking for suspension suggestions from you the experts. I am tired of all the clunks, squeaks, rattles over every single bump, depression and even pebble. I want to change out all the factory suspension related parts on both front and rear of the vehicle. But I am not sure what the parts are and how many. Could someone suggest all the parts that I would need to look for please and if there is a good brand to try to get. I see a lot of KYB suggestions for some parts. I am sure this reply could be time consuming, but I appreciate the help. I love the vehicle and it is the best winter vehicle I have ever owned.
Thank You in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have some questions for you if you want some accurate information.
How many miles are on your vehicle? and
Did you like the way it handled new? If so, like you said you can correct it with new parts. Shocks, bushings, etc.

If not, your talking doing some modifications and we can discuss that further.

Let us know.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Wow I have an 08 as well. Sorry to hear that your having these problems at this low of miles (km) I have roughly 30,000 miles thats about 48000 km (i think)And I havent experinced any of that at all. Well everyhing that you listed can be fixed if you want to go back all stock or otherwise.

-Start with checking with front struts, I think your getting most vehicle noise from the front. Check the top nut to see if it is bolted down. A good way to check this is pop the hood and bounce the front end and see if the strut bolt pops out of its place. If so then you might need some lock tight, allen wrench, and a socket. To bolt the nut down.

-Then move on to the struts ands shocks, go either Monroe Sensa or KYB, or if you want to get extravagant then you can get custom made shocks and struts. As MEGASCAPE has done, and I beleive he has one of the smoothest suspension thus far.

-Springs can changed out as well, you can either go stock or leveling springs.

But I REALLY doubt your spring have gone out
Also I doubt your struts have gone out this soon but one never knows the odds of these two.

-Sway bar and sway bar bushings could be a possiblilty

-Upper and lower A-arm bushings could be it

-hubs could be loose.

-Tires can be also an issue, but not top of the list.

HOPE THIS HELPS

·
Registered
27 Posts
The question that needs rectifying is what is the dilemma with your ride? Is there an issue with the vehicle, when you go off-roading or is it the daily commute an issue? If the issue is off roading and the vehicle has not been in an accident, then you need to modify your suspension (front and rear). Also, KYB is a good brand and there are several more reputable brands, but if cost is a factor then KYB offers a blend of functionality and affordability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so far for the replies. I mainly use this vehicle for daily commuting. I really don't go off road with it, if I do it would be babied. Main problems are rattles and clunks over any defect in the paved road surface no matter how minor. Even backing out of my driveway over a small bump where my paved driveway transitions into the road. It sounds like the brake pads are falling off or the rear side door pins are hardly holding the door on. Definitely metal on metal somewhere. I have taken the truck into ford several times, some times they hear the noises, and other times they say the don't. Often I do not believe they actually road test the vehicle. They have changed the shock once, sway bar links, and absorbers. Always on the drivers rear side, and that appears to be where the sounds are coming from. One thing I have noticed is coincidentally the same shock that was replaced about 6 months ago is extremely clean compared to the other. Intuitively this makes sense as it is newer, but it almost looks like the fluids inside have drained out and no dirt will stay on it. It is still way too clean even for 6 months old, there should be some build up on it. Also on this same note, throughout the winter months every time I went over a parking lot speed bump the shock would make a loud squeak both during compression and extension phases. Loud enough for people inside and out to hear as I drove over. I haven't noticed this is in a month or so, but could be drained of its' fluid or warmer temperatures changed the fluidity?
To date I have made sure the spare tire is tight (Ford told me the sounds were because the spare was loose.) Currently the spare is removed to prove to them the sound is still present. Taped both rear door and window latches. Replaced weather stripping around all doors and windows. Replaced absorbers (Some), sway bar links (One side), shock (One side). Currently looking at new tires. Came with those continentals that everyone complains about. I have rotated them twice now (in 25000 KM) to get the most of them, but looking at Wrangler Silent Armors right now.
Thanks again for your replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts