Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. I have put this off for a bit but I'm starting to get concerned. When I am driving with my escape over 50 m.p.h. (usually) and I hit my brakes I feel a shutter but it stops when I drop below about 42 m.p.h. If I am going 40 and hit the brakes very hard, still nothing will happen. It only occurs above 50. Could this be alignment/balance issue or is this a rotor issue?

thanks,

AD

PS: I just realized I have these three hooks/mounts at the back of my trunk on my ceiling. what are those for?

·
Registered
490 Posts
The hooks are for anchoring the upper tether straps of baby car seats.

My Sport Trac does the same thing as you are desribing when braking. I have not been too concerned. It could be minor rotor warpage -- which typically is not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The pulsating is caused by you front rotors being warped. I've found that its pretty easy to do on the 2008 and newer. Ford jacked us up by getting rid of the rear disc on the 08 model. It only took a trip through San Francisco to get mine warped. You can get them turned, if they are still in spec, but you may have to replace them.

As far as the three hooks, I don't know I've never noticed them. I know there is one on the driver side by the window, but thats just to hang clothes on.

And while I'm at it. Why did Ford get rid of the Oh shit handles?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Depends, how hard are you applying the brakes and how fast are you applying them. Could be a little bit of the anti-lock braking working if your slapping the pedal quickly. :shrug: The shutter your feeling would be the pulsation of the anti lock mechanism.

I never warped a drum brake. I have warped disks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The O'$h!^ handles are not there because Ford has the side air bag curtain standard on the 08 - it was an option in 07. We'll at least it can float better down river....

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Jeff M said:
And while I'm at it. Why did Ford get rid of the Oh *s**** handles?
Could the OH SH*T handles be put on??? The ones that go above the head on the side ceiling, even though, if the airbags go off your arm would possibly get hurt???

·
Registered
293 Posts
091106 said:
The O'$h!^ handles are not there because Ford has the side air bag curtain standard on the 08 - it was an option in 07. We'll at least it can float better down river....

Makes sense. Did even think of that.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Since the thread went to HANDLES, I found hadles on my friends 09 MARINER. It s on the side columns where the windshield is held. So it is possible to add handles.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Some food for thought, as some think warped rotors are a myth.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_wa ... disk.shtml
One thing for sure is I never turn my rotors. You lose mass and the ability to shed heat causing more problems. Unless they are in pretty bad shape, I just bed the new pads into the wear pattern of the rotor. My Certified Volvo Warranty mechanic says the same.. don't turn the rotors. Also its good to keep like pad materials when changing. If needed I buy new rotors, usually not that expensive.
If anyone is interested in great pads, I have lots of no drama or fade triple digit mph braking experience with Hawk hps on my Z. Pair them up with Ford truck HD fluid for a race ready combo. Little dust, low noise, only thing that stops it faster is running into a wall :D
Great product. I see they have a part # for my '02.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts