Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I read in the "Common Problems" that the issues seems to exist with the 05-06 Escapes, but didnt see anything about the 08's... Does that TSB still apply?

My parents have an '08 Escape and over the past week, the engine light came on, then the vehicled doesnt want to accept gasoline at a normal rate... Now if it was the filler neck, wouldnt we have noticed this when we bought it? The Escape has a little over 60K on it and havent had an issue yet (except the sticking throttle body)

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks

Jesse

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Where do you live? Is it snowy and cold?
I remember a member saying they had a problem like this and it ended up being snow and ice that was frozen around the vent lines of the fuel filler neck that didn't allow the vapors to espace and shut off the pump.
If your parents never had the problem from the beginning of ownership and now have 60K on it, I wouldn't suspect the filler neck/TSB problem.

Is the vehicle parked outside? Bring it in the garage or other warm place for a couple hours if you physically can't see a build up of ice and the problem might goes away.

Just a thought, but might not be your problem. Good Luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
LX302 said:
Where do you live? Is it snowy and cold?
I remember a member saying they had a problem like this and it ended up being snow and ice that was frozen around the vent lines of the fuel filler neck that didn't allow the vapors to espace and shut off the pump.
If your parents never had the problem from the beginning of ownership and now have 60K on it, I wouldn't suspect the filler neck/TSB problem.

Is the vehicle parked outside? Bring it in the garage or other warm place for a couple hours if you physically can't see a build up of ice and the problem might goes away.

Just a thought, but might not be your problem. Good Luck!
This was quite a helpful post because my friend had experience almost the same issue. My friend's ford escape is parked outside so he tried parking it in a closed garage. After 4 hours when it started working properly so we both think the neck is quite frozen. Anyway, thanks for the tip. :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a used 2007 V6 XLT 4WD in July. In Sept I had the fuel filler light come on while driving. Later the check engine light came on too. The Owner's Manual told me to make sure the gas cap was screwed on correctly and it wasn't. I corrected the cap but both lights stayed on. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and reconnected it. That solved the problem until my wife got gas. I loosened and reseated the gas cap before the check engine light came on again. It's a pain but the Owner's Manual was dead on! Always check the gas cap and reseat it if the light comes on!!!- Lynnius Maximus

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is your fuel cap the type that screws in several turns or is it the 1/8 turn type?
If it's the former, then a rule of thumb is that they should be tightened until it clicks a few times.
My 2002 Escape has the 1/8 turn type. I've never had a problem, but every time I fill up, it never feels right when installing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts