Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I’ve had my escape for about a year now and got 68k miles on it. I’ve changed the oil filter, spark plugs, and fuel filter yet I still get bad mpg. My average is around 11-12mpg and it’s draining gas fast a lot. I do have small exhaust leaks in my exhaust pipe and i’m looking to replace it. Is there anything else I can do to get better mileage on it? I get my oil change and transmission oil changed whenever it’s due time and it drives good but I hear a metallic scratching sound when i’m driving at a speed of around 20-25 miles per hour. also when I start my car it sounds really loud due to the exhaust leak and it dials down afterwards.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Dragging brake maybe that sound you are hearing? That could negatively affect your fuel mileage. You can check for an overheated rotor, lots of dust on a wheel, pads prematurely wearing. Air filter? Clean MAF and throttle body? It would be difficult to get that low by driving style or environment but it is possible, but you are right, there seems to be something going on.

I never realized how close the V6 and I4 are in fuel mileage. 2.3 4WD is 19 city, 24 highway, 21 combined, and the 3.0 4WD is 17 city, 22 highway, 19 combined.

I would try to fix the exhaust leak, but it is common for as the engine and exhaust heat up that the sound lessens.

Reactions: godsgraveyard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dragging brake maybe that sound you are hearing? That could negatively affect your fuel mileage. You can check for an overheated rotor, lots of dust on a wheel, pads prematurely wearing. Air filter? Clean MAF and throttle body? It would be difficult to get that low by driving style or environment but it is possible, but you are right, there seems to be something going on.

I never realized how close the V6 and I4 are in fuel mileage. 2.3 4WD is 19 city, 24 highway, 21 combined, and the 3.0 4WD is 17 city, 22 highway, 19 combined.

I would try to fix the exhaust leak, but it is common for as the engine and exhaust heat up that the sound lessens.
i’ve gotten the front 2 brakes change and will soon get the rear brakes changed too. the sound comes from the front closer to the right wheel so i assume it is exhaust manifold or pipe. when it comes to the engine there is no problem with it and it performs great. i’ve shown it to my mechanic and other mechanics as well and it seems to be working good. i live in nyc to it is understandable to have low mpg because there is a stop light at every block. i’m regards to the maf and throttle body i will look into it and check them out.
Thanks man

·
Registered
911 Posts

I have an 05 AWD with the same V6 and 4 speed, and with that I get 17 around town (suburban, not true city) in the summer and around 15.5 in the winter (winter blend fuel) and about 23 on the highway summer (65mph), so the EPA was close on this one. I drive fairly conservatively. OP should be getting something similar unless he's spending his commute in constant bumper to bumper traffic.

I wonder if he doesn't have some parasitic powertrain drag, like a stuffed PTU or rear diff dragging him down.

John

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hey all,
I’ve had my escape for about a year now and got 68k miles on it. I’ve changed the oil filter, spark plugs, and fuel filter yet I still get bad mpg. My average is around 11-12mpg and it’s draining gas fast a lot. I do have small exhaust leaks in my exhaust pipe and i’m looking to replace it. Is there anything else I can do to get better mileage on it? I get my oil change and transmission oil changed whenever it’s due time and it drives good but I hear a metallic scratching sound when i’m driving at a speed of around 20-25 miles per hour. also when I start my car it sounds really loud due to the exhaust leak and it dials down afterwards.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
11-12? Really? You are of course measuring the exact amount of fuel dispensed and not using the old "half tank is 8 gallons" method, right?

If you kick it into neutral, does it seem to drag itself to a stop prematurely? If you have an IR thermometer, you can aim it at your rotors and/or drums and see if one side is hotter than the other (dragging brakes).

I would also get a good scanner and check live data and check the long term fuel trims.

I've never had this experience but I hear weak O2 sensors can cause bad mileage.

John

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
O2 sensors produce voltage(when they are working) up to around 1v at max. When the voltage is low, the sensor appears to be indicating a LEAN condition. If the O2 is broken, producing near or at zero all the time, the computer will think it is running lean, and will attempt to correct that by ADDING FUEL.
So, I think a failing or inop O2 sensor can hurt fuel mileage.
On the V6, they are not fun to change as everything is crammed in, don't know of the I4.
tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts