Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to program the second key of the 2008 Escape?

Ours doesn't seem to function with the remote but the key does work in the ignition.
The 2008 setup is different than the earlier years with the seperate keyless remote.
I understand from the manual that you can program a 3rd key IF you have two working keys but our second key isn't working.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Have you tried to reprogram them using the manual's steps? That is, insert the problem key as your second IKT and then insert it again as the "new" IKT.

Otherwise, this is probably a dealer item. Your 2008 still has the warranty, doesn't it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Squishy said:
Have you tried to reprogram them using the manual's steps? That is, insert the problem key as your second IKT and then insert it again as the "new" IKT.

Otherwise, this is probably a dealer item. Your 2008 still has the warranty, doesn't it?
Well,
Apparently the programming steps are different for these 08 keys now. I did read the steps in the manual but stopped when they stated that these steps are for programming a third or fourth key IF you have two working keys in your posession. We did go to the dealer and after setting up an appointment as per the salesman's suggestion, the shop people said that they already had entered the problem into the computer and contacted the company on the problem. They said that FORD has no fix at the moment and the shop technician who had worked on the keys before we bought the vehicle personally said to us that he tried to program the key 4 times with no joy.
So right now the key works fone in manual mode.....

Other than that, I do like the 08 - I4.
Sure it's less HP than the V6 but it's also way quieter on highway speed and uses a tad less go juice than my 03 V6 FWD.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just for reference about our key issue with the '08:

Our friend the service manager sent this about our problem:
Anyway, my shop foreman said the keys will open and start the car - so you can use them. The problem is the Instrument cluster is interactive with the Smart Junction Box and when you use the remote control buttons the smart junction box sends the signal to the instrument cluster but there is a communications problem and the cluster refuses to recognize the command. Ford hopes to have this concern corrected shortly.

Not that I have a clue about all of this. They didn't have these sort of junction boxes when I was younger.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as a final note. This problem has been solved 7/3/08. My wife took the vehicle in with the two keys in that day and they reprogrammed them successfully :thumb: . As a final comment from the Service Manager, Apparently it took a software update in the car to reprogram the keys successfully :bill: .

·
Registered
115 Posts
most of the time Ford uses a eight time run to program new keys. Get in the vehicle and shut the door. Put the new key to be programed in the key slot. Now turn the key to run and off eight times then hit any key on the fob. After the eighth try of the key, the doors on the unit should lock or unlock. That tells you that it's getting the new signal of the fob. You have 10 seconds to roll the key to run and off then hit any key on the fob to program the new key. Simple, huh?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts