Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After acquiring a 08 Mercury Mariner that had been sitting for about a year and wouldn’t start I hooked my scanner up and the only code I’m showing is the one that disables the 12v battery due to the high voltage battery in the back being below 300v. It’s measuring about 234.12 v on my scanner. I’ve read about the small button on the driver side access panel on the side of the dash and after charging the 12v battery on the car overnight the little button just flash’s when I press it some other videos show the light on the button going solid and flashes once complete would anyone happen to know how to get this to work correctly or is there another way to get that voltage back up above 300v so that the code will clear and allow the engine to turn over. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you search the internet there are posts or videos about separately charging the high voltage battery pack. However even if your battery is fully recharged it probably will not hold the charge very well due to its age. The main question is if you want to spend $2000+ on an aftermarket rebuilt battery pack that may or may not work well.

·
Registered
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid
23 Posts
I had something similar occur, that was 100% related to the failure of the 12 V battery.
driving along, my car just died. I was able to restart, drove a short distance and it died again, going to electric.
started reading on the Internet, and everybody is saying it's a throttlebody issue… They were wrong.

when the 12 V battery is near depletion, the vehicle will go into limp mode, utilizing the high voltage battery. I had tested the 12 V battery, but not under load. (I would not drive more than 1 mile when you were under electric limp mode).

I was able to get my high voltage battery charged at my local Hybrid only/specialized shop, for a few hundred bucks.
they told me that these battery packs are rebuildable, you do not have to spend big money to repair your Hybrid. This is false propaganda provided by clean coal people.(Google it)

I now swap out my 12 V battery every five years according to the date code sticker on the battery, I have not had an issue since.

12 V won't kill you, the high-voltage battery will. Be careful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts