Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone swapped out a radio in an 08 model? people keep telling me i need a special wire kit, others say its not necessary since i dont have fords premium sound pkg.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'll post the connector faces for the various '08 sound systems tomorrow morning.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The problem with the 2008 models is the FDIM (Front Display Interface Module) and the network that runs between that module and several other modules. It even controls the lighting of the buttons (which is why the factory audio controls don't light up at the same time as the parking/head lights).

Anyway, if you install an aftermarket HU, you'll lose the audio system info on the display panel at the top of the center console. I'm guessing that anyone with an '08 already knows that.

Someone may make a harness that provides that information to the FDIM in the near future, but, for now, only the factory HUs can send info to that display.

The connector faces and their pin/wire functions are located here.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You'll also have a grand time trying to find a 12v switched output. I did without, but at times my navi head unit will mysteriously stay on for minutes after I get out of the car and lock up. Its the RAP circuit doing its thing.

I recommend ponying up for the right harness w/ RAP circuit adapter. Cheap and easier.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts