Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks!

I'm new here and have happily browsed through the "probs and solutions" forum. By far, this is the best Escape forums I've found! I was curious about the following: we took the Escape in for the transmission cooler Ford "recall" deal (which we already had fixed around 30k, but I wanted to make sure it was the same thing). Anyway, my wife noticed a new rumbling sound between 30-45 MPH, so we had the tech check it out. Turns out the bearings in the idler are bad. At first, I was under the impression that it was the idler right next to the belt tensioner (or maybe the pulley on the tensioner itself). But when I picked up the new one, it doesn't look like any of the pulleys under the hood.

Question 1: Is that big pulley on the passengers side toward the firewall an idler? I thought it was for the P/S pump.
Sorry for the crummy pics. You can kind of see the only pulley that looks like the one they sold me:

And the new one:

Question 2: Does anyone have a routing diagram? It's on 08 V6 with A/C. I found two on the Goodyear website (I like gatorback belts) but they don't match at all. My layout kind of looks like a combination of the two, except the water pump is on the driver's side all by it's lonesome.

Found here:

Thanks in advance!

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Shoot Ill have to look in the morning. What kind of rumble was it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oskerb said:
Shoot Ill have to look in the morning. What kind of rumble was it?
Thanks Oskar! The rumble is from the bearings in the idler, which does make sense to me--symptom-wise. I was just trying to figure out if that back pulley is an idler.

Forgive the tacky ascii art:
(looking "through" the right front fender)
---------> fwd
O\ / o
\ /o o
O o

If that cruddy makes any sense, it's the one on the left of the V.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zippyworld said:
1, 4 and 8 are all idlers, looks like you have #8 from your picture.
That's exactly the one! Thank you, zippyworld! Do these '08s have electric power steering pumps? Well I'll be! (Just saw they do!) That's pretty cool! Surely that idler is just a carryover "place holder" from older models with a mechanical PS pump? I'm no belt routing guru, (although my ole man and I did put a supercharger on the '94 F-150 with the 4.9L I6, custom bracket and interesting belt routing!) but that definitely seems like it's not needed. It looks like it should be able to go straight from the tensioner to idler pulley 1.

:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Idler swap: success. No more noise. :D It was a pain to get to. . .but thanks to the pointers from here, I took the wheel liner out and it was actually a cinch. Also, I took measurements and will figure out which shorter belt we can use to bypass that worthless idler as it is. The current belt is 86" and a rough guess is that it'll be about 50" bypassing that #8 idler altogether. I'll post pictures when I'm done as well as the final belt length, and part # I used. :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Good stuff, I think Im gona have to do that too,but I am getting a wine on some startups and high rev shift change (1-2). Well its still under warranty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts