Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone new the forum as i recently just purchased my first escape 2008 xlt 4 cylinder two wheel drive(54,000km).....
I am having some transmission issues when i shift the car from park to drive or park to reverse their seems to a jerk and a about a 2 second delay before the transmission engages itself. Took the car back to the dealership today they said it was a computer issue and reprogrammed the transmission. They said the transmission will now go back into a learning mode and be a little weird for the first couple of days but the problem i went in for still remains wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what could be causing this and if what the dealership's work on my car was even relevant to my problem???

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
First off, welcome to the City! :welcome:

There was a TSB (technical service bulletin) for some strange transmission quirks with the newer Escapes... but to my knowledge, it didn't cover your year. Your engine and transmission combination technically date back to 2001 (although moreso with the 2005+ Escapes). Probably just a thing of age, though it could be fluid related and potentially poor treatment by the previous owner.

If it keeps going even after the re-learning process... I'd have someone take a look at the transmission. What is its history?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome
Dealer told me it was just off lease no accidents, was in good condition all interior and exterior was spotless no wear and tear on the leather... never showed any signs of problems during the first week or two now three weeks in this starts after a few hours of driving with the update problem has seem to gotten worse( takes longer for the transmission to get in gear and now slugs into changing gears while driving)... by law I have a 30 day warranty but the dealer is telling me I have to pay 50/50 if its not a warranty problem and if it is a warranty issue i have to pay 109 dollars for the Initial inspection( argued with the manager today to waive was told they wont do it again)

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Sounds like it would have to be a warranty issue... I mean, it should still be covered by Ford's powertrain warranty unless it's different than the US warranty.

When in doubt... CarFax? I say bring it to a different Ford dealership if you can... they might be nicer about it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Tang said:
Sounds like it would have to be a warranty issue... I mean, it should still be covered by Ford's powertrain warranty unless it's different than the US warranty.

When in doubt... CarFax? I say bring it to a different Ford dealership if you can... they might be nicer about it.
+1 - take it somewhere else. There should not be a charge for anything if there is a warranty-related issue with the car.

That said, does anyone know what would happen if I take a problem in to get looked at under warranty, and the dealer is unable to replicate it? If they charge me for the inspection, should I raise a stink, or accept it? I apologize if this is a dumb question - I've just never had a car with a factory warranty before.

Sorry to threadjack - it just seemed like an appropriate place to interject.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a certified Ford in Canada when you buy a certified car they make you sign the carfax to prove they showed it you no accidents and was not a daily rental.... I believe thats the 109 dollars they tried to charge me for they could not replicate the downshifting problem but could replicate the car jerking from gear to gear

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would take it to a different Ford dealership, even to a specialized transmission shop.

My transmission mechanic test drove and ran diagnostics on my Escape for free. And when the transmission in my wife's Windstar broke, they paid for the tow to get it to their shop.

What did they say was the cause for the jerking from gear to gear? Did they do anything about that? They should have, that can't be good for the tranny.

BTW....Where in Canada are you?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
As Four_Eyes states... a lot of smaller specialty shops don't charge for diagnostics unless it's something extreme. Have another party... or two, look at your car.

Good luck! Keep us posted...

slavrenz said:
If they charge me for the inspection, should I raise a stink, or accept it? I apologize if this is a dumb question - I've just never had a car with a factory warranty before.
If you're in this position, I suggest not going to the dealership unless it's something that OEM parts are guaranteed to result in a 110,000% better fix... well, depends on the age of the car too.

The details get interesting too. If you do a "secondhand" warranty, best to look at the fine print. Sometimes they will charge you for diagnostics or, as my friend's Subaru Legacy warranty goes, he has to pay a deposit on any repair and the warranty covers the rest of it. I'm not sure what the deposit/premium is... but it's probably still a huge PITA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So no answer back from ford customer service was promised a call back the next day we are now going on 5 days later does any one have an idea of what could be causing my original problem?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Did you have someone at an independent transmission shop look at it?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
aperrotta1 said:
So no answer back from ford customer service was promised a call back the next day we are now going on 5 days later does any one have an idea of what could be causing my original problem?
Hi aperrotta1,

My name is Cory from Ford Customer Service. I'm sure it's very frustrating to wait for someone to call you back about the issue with your 2008 Escape. I would like to try and help address this for you. If you send me your VIN in a private message, I can see if there is anything I can do to help.

Cory
Ford Customer Service Division

1 - 12 of 12 Posts