Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '09 with a 4WD transmission that is starting to go (noises in 1st and 2nd gears). I only found one 4wd xmission near me at a local junkyard, but the mounts on the xmission case were broken. My question is this: Can I replace the xmission I have with a xmission from a 2WD vehicle without having a major issue, i.e. a complete mismatch that will not allow the car to drive. I don't care about the 4wd system anyway, my old 2WD drove great in snow and such. Is there a way to "flash" the car software to avoid a constant CEL. Please, I don't need comments about "why don't you just fix the 4wd" - I just want to know if this is possible and what other parts may need changing and any software issues I may run into. Doing this will at least let me keep the car going until I can re-build the 4wd transmission myself, at my own "slow" pace. I can't afford the $4000 price tag that the shop will charge me. Thanks.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The transmission and 4WD transfer case are two different items. 4WD versions of the Escape add a 4WD transfer case (PTU) which is bolted to the right side of the transmission. The front shafts are definitely different. If your noise is coming from the transmission, then your 4WD transfer case is good.

I don't know if the 2WD and 4WD transmissions sub (they might be the same), but you can check any auto recycle yard for compatibility including model years. I did notice that the transmission indicator letter in the VIN is the same for both 2WD and 4WD, but I don't know if that means they'll interchange.

Try this link: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the swap is done and guess what....I still have the same noises in lower gears and when accelerating briskly. CV axles? Anyway, there are NO issues doing this swap - everything bolts right up the same way. The only part that needs to be changed is the intermediate CV shaft on the passenger side - the 4WD shaft will work, but it will not seal the transmission and you WILL be leaking ATF everywhere - ask me how I know!

Well, my next thought is that my 4WD transmission is probably just fine despite what the mechanic said. I would like to put it back in eventually, but before I do, I want to "refresh" everything to make sure it is good. What are some parts/upgrades that I should do now that it is out? Complete re-build? New clutch plates all around? I won't know by looking if the plates are good or not. The videos of teardown and rebuild seem straight forward enough so I am inclined to take it apart and try. The car is running fine on the 2WD transmission at the moment, so there is no rush. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Seals and gaskets, rubber O-rings, and the clutch frictions. Check the clutch steels. If blued or warped from heat or other causes(worn out fluid), get new. Given the labor, if there is any question on the steels, replace, they're(should be) relatively cheap. If the fluid looks as if it is from the Permian or Jurassic Park, i.e., black and tar-like, flush well, check any bearings for indications of wear or damage, replace as needed if not smooth and free-rolling. They are not real complex, so normal things apply. There is a YT by Ford Boss Me channel where he demos doing a new Bronco unit. He had a bit of difficulty with the frictions and steels aligning, but he got it done. This is not rocket surgery or brain science.... just good old mechanical disassembly, clean, replace bad, re-assemble. Fun stuff.
tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts