Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! i have a 2009 v6 xlt and i have an issue where it is randomly going into limp mode after it gets up to normal operating temp. Im not sure where to start with trying to find the fix any suggestions would help!

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Is this full on limp mode, with Service Engine Soon/SES/check engine light and the wrench light/powertrain light on, and you only have very little throttle? As mentioned you should have stored codes if not current ones. Does it go away if you shut off the car and restart it? There are different degrees of limp home mode, most severe deal with the throttle body.

2009 could be be the throttle body, common issue (check codes for p2111 or p2112).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will look into the throttle body for sure! I cleaned it a while back and it cleared up for a few days. As for the limp mode it doesn't let me do anything it just idles really rough and creeps until I put it in park. When I shut it off it clears those codes back away I want to say it's the throttle body codes it's been awhile as I usually drive my truck instead

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
DoBiE5735 said:
I will look into the throttle body for sure! I cleaned it a while back and it cleared up for a few days. As for the limp mode it doesn't let me do anything it just idles really rough and creeps until I put it in park. When I shut it off it clears those codes back away I want to say it's the throttle body codes it's been awhile as I usually drive my truck instead
If codes are stored, they will not clear themselves unless the problem has been fixed. Even in the event the problem is fixed, most codes are hard set meaning once stored, you have to manually go in and clear them yourself. The exceptions are soft set ones like MAF sensors disconnected, gas caps left open/off, and charging related issues. When you fix the related issue, they will go away on their own after so many start/drive cycles. There might be others but limp-mode related codes are hard set.

The other thought is that the PCM is having power issues and when you shut the car off, it's like disconnecting the battery. This would cause the PCM to lose stored codes. It would also cause it to lose idle and other sensor information it stored every time it sits for a bit and could trigger those codes.

Check the PCM for water damage. Water intrusion can cause all sorts of gremlins including grounding and power issues.

·
Registered
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid
23 Posts

bro, sounds more like bad gas. you shouldn't have to clean your throttlebody except for every 200,000 miles. if it is sitting, the throttlebody would not get filthy again anyway. A dirty fuel filter would also act that way, with debris settling in the filter during non-use, then as soon as you start it up it'A dirty fuel filter would also act that way, with debris settling in the filter during non-use.

if you cleaned the throttlebody and it cleared up, the next step I would say is cleaning the injectors since you're possibly running bad gas.
You let it sit with a 100% full tank, right?

if not, there's your problem. You've got water in your tank from condensation.(HEET)

there are so many sensors related, you should be getting a code...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts