Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with a leather steering wheel, have you noticed a slight wearing of the leather on the backside of the steering wheel? My leather is wearing at the 12 o'clock position. It even has what looks like a small tear.

I've done nothing unusual with it and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed it. I'll have the dealer check it at my next oil change. I've driven cars with leather steering wheels up to nearly 100K miles and never noticed any signs of wear. My Escape has about 20K miles.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Just curious... Which color wheel do you have?

I have an 02 with a black leather steering wheel. No problems with wearing that I have noticed...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just checked my leather steering wheel cover(tan) and no damage. about 9000 miles.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
There's a TSB for that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oskerb said:
There's a TSB for that.
I have the list of TSBs for the '09 Escape and I cannot find any reference to this problem. What TSB are you referring to?

RobtRoma, the color is black.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes..I have a 2009 Explorer Limited with leather steering wheel and I have the same condition at about the 1:00 position on the wheel. The affected area started about 1/4" long, but has grown to about 1" and is still growing gradually. It's like the top layer of the leather is just peeling away in one spot. The rest of the wheel is perfect. I'm concerned that it is going to continue and will end up costing a fortune to repiar the cover after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JimBob said:
Yes..I have a 2009 Explorer Limited with leather steering wheel and I have the same condition at about the 1:00 position on the wheel. The affected area started about 1/4" long, but has grown to about 1" and is still growing gradually. It's like the top layer of the leather is just peeling away in one spot. The rest of the wheel is perfect. I'm concerned that it is going to continue and will end up costing a fortune to repiar the cover after the warranty expires.
JimBob, have you had the dealer look at the problem yet? The description of your steering wheel's leather sounds just like mine. I'm going to try to get the dealer to replace the wheel, but I'm guessing they're going to tell me it's normal wear and tear. I'm not going to settle for that explanation so I'm preparing myself for a battle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 XLT with stone leather wrapped wheel. It first started at the 11:00 position on the front. That's mostly peeled and now it's started at the 1:00 position with several spots. Yesterday I noticed a break at the 4:00 position. I have about 33K mileage. When I pointed this out to the service folks for the 25K checkup, I was told it came under regular wear and tear, which is only warranted to 12K. And, it was because I wear rings -- on two fingers, ring finger of each hand. I found that a little unusually because this is on the front and the back of my rings might touch the backside. I think it's a design flaw or bad leather. Anyone else have the problem?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started this thread and I guess I forgot to follow-up on it. My dealer replaced the steering wheel without hesitation. The new steering wheel leather wrap is a little different and somewhat rough compared to the new one. The new wheel matches the interior more than the old shiny black smooth leather wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts