Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My approx. 3500 mile FWD Escape has a strange problem and it's beginning to bug me. It's a dull thud noise that I hear coming from what sounds like underneath the driver's seat. It seems to happen after the car's been sitting for a awhile, then drive it, slow or fast, and then by making the first complete stop. It sounds like something is shifting or moving around underneath the seat. It doesn't happen all the time so I would have a hard time recreating the noise on demand.

I've checked and re-checked everywhere I could think of to try to find something that may be moving around, but no such luck. The only thing I haven't checked is to make sure the spare tire is secure.

I'll mention the noise to my dealer when I take it in for the 7500 mile service, but that's still a long way to go. What worries me is that the noise is coming from the transmission. And I've read some people are having problems (flare, noises, shifting) with this 6F35 tranny. Anybody here something similar in their later model Escape and have a suggestion?

Thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm, looks like I'm the only one here that's heard this noise. I guess that's good news. The more I hear it the more I think it's related to the driver's seat rather than a major mechanical problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ford is working on the problem on the 6F35 transmission i heard it was called a shift flash problem. The ford flex i think already have a reflash for it so i think go and asked your dealer about it and tell them your problem. I know a few people with a flex had that problem. Have the truck reflashed and it should be ok. I thought these trannys were bullit proof i guess not

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Ford put the 6F series through a lot of harsh testing. If a flash fixes the shift smoothness, the software and timing of the shifts are not related to the mechanical durability of the transmission.

I'll bet that the 6F35 will be one of the best automatic transmissions that Ford has ever introduced.

·
Registered
464 Posts
This most probably isnt related but my 2001 has the same sound when it comes to it's first stop. It has something to do with the A/C compressor, it only does it with A/C on. Just a thought :rockon:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really think my Escape's clunk or thud is in the driver's seat. Sometimes I think I can actually feel some movement in the seat. Or, maybe it's below the seat on the underside.

I think my transmission needs to have a software update. I definitely have experienced a flare when downshifting and hard on the pedal. It sort of felt like the lower gear was being eased into rather than a hard downshift. Meanwhile the rpm' were going way up to 6K! Under normal driving the tranny shifts fine.

One thing that happened recently that I thought was strange was while decelerating with the cruise control button. The cruise was on, and I was slowing down by holding the cruise control down button. All of a sudden, the tranny downshifted as the car continued to slow. I never owned a car that the transmission would downshift while holding the cruise down button, or at least I never felt such an abrupt downshift. I attributed this to just the way this car works, but I really don't know.

·
Registered
114 Posts
DaveJ said:
I really think my Escape's clunk or thud is in the driver's seat. Sometimes I think I can actually feel some movement in the seat. Or, maybe it's below the seat on the underside...
hmmm, maybe it was bring beer to work Friday at the factory? Does it sound like a bottle clink? I'm kidding.

That is puzzling, maybe there is something actually moving around down there but I can't imagine what it would be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts