Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to hear if anyone else has had this problem!!!! Sorry it's such a long post, but the 3rd incident just happened today and it's VERY frustrating.

I bought a new 2009 Ford Escape XLT FWD 2.5 liter engine in June. On August 30 I was driving on I- 95 in Pennsylvania when my car started acting erratically. For the first 30-35 minutes of my trip the car felt like it was pulling (for lack of a better word….almost as if the emergency brake was still on or the oil was overdue for a change). About 40 minutes into the trip, the RPM dial started going crazy. It shot back and forth between 2000, 6000, and 4000. At the same time, the car lost power. Even though the RPM's were running high, the car would not go more than 40mph. I pulled off on an exit and while I was going up the exit ramp hill the RPM's were at 6000, but the car wouldn't accelerate over 20mph. As I got to the crest of the hill, the car lurched and then the RPM's and MPH's leveled out. Once I pulled over safely on the side of the exit, I noticed that the "wrench" icon was illuminated. I called Ford Roadside Assistance to have the car towed to the dealership where I bought the car. I kept the car on for about 30-40 minutes after I called for the tow truck and the "wrench" was illuminated the whole time. The service people were great, but after having the car for 3 days and driving it for 112 miles while hooked up to computers the whole time, the problem was never duplicated nor did it register on the computer that anything was wrong. Oddly enough, the "wrench" icon never registered as having come on (even though it was lit for at least 30-40 minutes). I was told that if it happened again, I should (if it was safe) drive to the closest dealership and tell them what had happened before and NOT turn the car off (the service tech believed that when the car was turned off the computer reset and that is why they were never able to figure out what was wrong).
On September 22 I was driving to work on I-95. Once again, the car began doing the same thing. This time the RPM dial was moving erratically from one number to another and the car lost acceleration. Also, there was a loud noise as the car shifted from one gear to the next. The "wrench" icon was illuminated once again. I pulled off at the nearest exit and drove a the nearest dealership. As I was driving on local roads, the car would not accelerate higher than 40mph. Once I got to the dealership, I explained what had happened previously and told them not to turn the car off. They took the car and parked it until someone could look at it. After 45 minutes, my service advisor informed me that they did get a reading from the computer about a transmission issue. Grand total, my car was at this dealership for 18 days. They discovered that it was a problem inside the transmission. Apparently there was something that was not sealed properly when it was installed and as a result the seal needed to be repaired as well as a drum that it was on. The parts were on backorder for close to 2 weeks. They indicated that they were having trouble contacting their Ford representative to find out what was going on with the part. I finally received a call on October 9 that my car was ready. I picked it up that evening thinking that everything was finally fixed.
Then today I was driving home from work (once again on I-95) and the car started shifting erratically with the RPM's going from 2000-4000 and the car losing acceleration once again. This time the "wrench" icon did not light up and once I pulled off the highway, the car drove better. I took it back to the 2nd dealership and now they are going to look at it tomorrow. I'm worried nothing is going to register again and they won't be able to fix it again this time.

Any help/ideas/thoughts on what this could be would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whoa. Not much I can add however - they need to pull the codes that "should" be stored in the computer and take it from there. I think your going about it the right way, went to another dealer (I hope they are providing a rental) and I would continue to persue the local Ford customer rep so that you could get some priority on any parts if needed. Keep us up to date and hope they find your issue quick.
Maybe you can record/video the issue if you get it back "not fixed" when it does happen? Kind of tough to drive that way, so be careful, but it will prove what your symptoms are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Strange , I have 2009 4 cyl 6 speed and just this morning after warming up , went to get on highway and it stopped accelerating , battery and oil light came on , brakes worked but would not accelerate , pulled over for 2 minutes ,then started off and all was well .
Don't like the feeling of accel pedal not working like that on a highway , lucky there was a shoulder to pull onto .
Do you think this is transmission related like yours ? are there any signs , ie oil leaks visible ?
hope they find your problem and fix it right .

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Keep after them. Eventually they will either fix this aberration, or get you a different new Escape.

Remember, "Illegitimi non corborundum". Loose Latin for: Don't let the b*st*rds get you down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, I've been reading this forums ever since I got my 2009 Ford Escape V-6 back in Feb 09. I guess it my turn to partake in the conversation. I'm having transmission problems lately. I'm at 14,000 miles and the transmission has a clunk noise. The clunk seems to come while cruising down the freeway with zero throttle input, as soon as I throttle to gain speed I hear a clunk then I am able to accelerate. I have not done the transmission TSB yet, but I am not sure if the TSB is related to my problem. I look under the hood and discovered residue on the transmission dipstick. I also looked under the car and discovered fluid residue on the transmission case. Here a few pictures. Let me know what you think. It's going to dealer on Monday. I check the the dipstick and it is secured. The dipstick appears to indicate full and the fluid has a greyish color with a very small hint of pink.

Thanks!...

More pics http://img12.imageshack.us/slideshow/we ... 0151xr.jpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi, Jonins! I haven't seen such a problem with my Escape (go 02!); however, I did notice a similar problem with the car I drove before I got the Escape, which was a 1998 Buick Century. On the freeway driving back from my parents, I noticed the exact same issue: accelerating would make a clunk noise before continuing. I asked my Dad about it and he said that it could be that the CV joints need replacing. I never actually investigated it further because I bought the Escape soon after. It is worth noting that the Buick had 135k miles (217,000km) on it and a transmission that was on the way out.

Either way, definitely get that checked out.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Looks like it's venting out through the filler neck with the dipstick, then running down onto the case. Remember, a little fluid goes along way. Especially with transmission fluid. Having said that, I'd sure be interested in getting it looked at ASAP. Then, no matter what work they do perform, I'd sure keep a close eye on it.

Several of my best friends own these 09 Escapes, and so far their biggest complaint is that they are back ordered on the air filters. That was today. One gal has over 27K on her Escape already and no problems other than the air filters are not available at the moment. Her husband does the maintenance on their cars. The other is a guy whose daughter owns and Escape and she too drives alot of miles, about 18K he said. Same complaint, the dealer in North Dallas that sells them parts has the air filters on back order. :shrug:

That is the 2.5L engines guys. Not the 3.0L, it's air filter is available.

Supposedly, O'Rielly has them available starting next monday for $12.95 each. I report back if I hear differently.

Just to note in passing, this is my post 6666. How wierd :wacko: .

·
Registered
51 Posts
jonas1022 said:
Looks like it's venting out through the filler neck with the dipstick, then running down onto the case. Remember, a little fluid goes along way. Especially with transmission fluid. Having said that, I'd sure be interested in getting it looked at ASAP. Then, no matter what work they do perform, I'd sure keep a close eye on it.

Several of my best friends own these 09 Escapes, and so far their biggest complaint is that they are back ordered on the air filters. That was today. One gal has over 27K on her Escape already and no problems other than the air filters are not available at the moment. Her husband does the maintenance on their cars. The other is a guy whose daughter owns and Escape and she too drives alot of miles, about 18K he said. Same complaint, the dealer in North Dallas that sells them parts has the air filters on back order. :shrug:

That is the 2.5L engines guys. Not the 3.0L, it's air filter is available.

Supposedly, O'Rielly has them available starting next monday for $12.95 each. I report back if I hear differently.

Just to note in passing, this is my post 6666. How wierd :wacko: .
You can always send your friend this thread posted recently so he can get an K&N replacement filter :).
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3981&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=filter

Jonins, I don't like the sound of the fluid color being greyish and only a hint of pink. My experience with auto trans is that it's supposed to be the other way around mostly pink and grey and if it's like you say, should be changed. It might be different with these new Escapes/trans, but if it were me, I'd make sure that it's normal or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the post. I took the Escape in yesterday. My service advisor said the tranmission techs don't come in on saturday, so the clunking noise would have to wait for next week. As far as the leak is concern, he told me I have a axle seal leak. Not sure what that is or if that would make the transmission fluid grey or even make fluid come out of the dipstick. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the helpful suggestions. I do have a video of it from the second time it acted up. I was off the highway at that point and I was driving 40mph (the car REALLY struggled at any higher speed) and the RPM's were staying at 4000. I have looked into my state's Lemon Law regulations and I am 1 visit and/or 6 more days of the car being serviced away from being able to pursue that angle.

I know it is only a matter of time before it happens again since my car was at the dealer this time for 3 days and they apparently did extended road tests and it did not act up at all nor could they pull any codes during the time it was there. The service rep called and said that they checked the lines and they were fine and they updated the PCMs and he was hoping that's all it was. The car is still not driving properly at all--it is still shifting very hard and the car seems to slip out of gear when it is shifting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
FORD: Fix Or Repair Daily

hahaha.... I'll sell mine ASA my warranty ends.... Going back to Toyota !

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Too much wasted space in this forum taken up with pictures, etc. in posts and signatures! If I wanted to look at mostly stock vehicles, I'll look at a brochure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got off the phone with my service advisor. Let me try to regurgitate what he said. He told me my axle seal was leaking due to the fact my axle was loose and was bumping up against the transmission case. Now they are waiting for a new transmission case, which is on back order for at least one week. He told me the service manager is talking to Ford reps regarding the problem. Ford reps told the dealer that the problem is common and that is why it is on back order. FYI my 2009 Escape was built around August 2008.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
joninsd84 said:
I just got off the phone with my service advisor. Let me try to regurgitate what he said. He told me my axle seal was leaking due to the fact my axle was loose and was bumping up against the transmission case. Now they are waiting for a new transmission case, which is on back order for at least one week. He told me the service manager is talking to Ford reps regarding the problem. Ford reps told the dealer that the problem is common and that is why it is on back order. FYI my 2009 Escape was built around August 2008.
There is supposed to be a recent design change in the 6F35 case do to the fact that they are burning up while being flat towed behind a RV. This might be another reason for the backorder.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks again for the update. Hopefully they diagnosed and will properly fix her for you right when the part(s) arrive. I also hope the Escape I have on order will have the updated case when it arrives. Is there a TSB for this issue that you know of? Quick check at alldata came up empty.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/20/092069eW.html

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
LIEscape said:
Thanks again for the update. Hopefully they diagnosed and will properly fix her for you right when the part(s) arrive. I also hope the Escape I have on order will have the updated case when it arrives. Is there a TSB for this issue that you know of? Quick check at alldata came up empty.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/20/092069eW.html
There is a TSB about running at the lower end of the normal ATF level to keep it from blowing out the fill tube which is what happens and the transmission burns up. TSB won't mention a manufacturing design change to a part of a assembly.

ATF dipstick- 09-20-13
Shaft leak- 09-22-7

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a call from my service advisor yesterday. He told me that transmission case that was on back order came in. They put the Escape on the lift and took the transmission case off and discovered the transmission had so much damage beyond repair. They called the Ford and my Escape was approved for a brand new transmission. Per my service advisor Ford usually rebuilds the transmission, but Ford decided the damage was so bad to rebuild. The transmission is on backorder. So I have to wait another week again. I have been reading other forums regarding the Escape and noticed that this problem is due to four wheels towing. I have never towed my Escape. Just a heads up, prior to bringing my Escape in to service I did not experience any harsh drivability. I just noticed the clunk, grey fluid, and leak.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
joninsd84 said:
I got a call from my service advisor yesterday. He told me that transmission case that was on back order came in. They put the Escape on the lift and took the transmission case off and discovered the transmission had so much damage beyond repair. They called the Ford and my Escape was approved for a brand new transmission. Per my service advisor Ford usually rebuilds the transmission, but Ford decided the damage was so bad to rebuild. The transmission is on backorder. So I have to wait another week again. I have been reading other forums regarding the Escape and noticed that this problem is due to four wheels towing. I have never towed my Escape. Just a heads up, prior to bringing my Escape in to service I did not experience any harsh drivability. I just noticed the clunk, grey fluid, and leak.
I've heard of owner's on their third or fourth tramsmision and none are rebuilt by the dealer but always replaced even for shifting issues not burnt up either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
wptski said:
I've heard of owner's on their third or fourth tramsmision and none are rebuilt by the dealer but always replaced even for shifting issues not burnt up either.
Thats a shame. I hope Ford is working on a fix. Do you know if those owners towed the Escape?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
joninsd84 said:
wptski said:
Thats a shame. I hope Ford is working on a fix. Do you know if those owners towed the Escape?
The first one that I heard about that was on their third was nothing to do with the flat towing issue but since then most have been because of towing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.