Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L - did ford do away with the shift on the fly 4x4 for the 2009 xlt models? I have been searching images, forums, bragging boards and yes i did use the search function on this site but most forum search tools are pretty sucky....any help ?

i woul

·
Registered
280 Posts
Shift on the fly? Do you mean the switch that let you turn "4x4" on and off? If so, I think that was removed since the 2005 models. From what I recall, the 2005 and later systems use a fully-electronic automatically-controlled system, whereas the older ones used a fluid coupling of some sort.

Also, you can use Google to search through your different forums. Simply add "site:[whatever]" to your search query to ask Google to search in one web address. For example, you could use "Shift on the fly site:www.escape-city.com" to try to search what you were originally looking for.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The Ford Intelligent 4wd system via Jtetk Corporation (fully automatic) replaced the previous Dana Corporation supplied 4 by 4 system. This Intelligent system is really not intelligent as it engages every times one hits the throttle via scanguage II readings and elsewhere. It does cut out during steady state cruising. This system is being improved on by a verison that offers various other capabilities as found on the 2011 Explorer.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I can't say it's unintelligent because it works great off-road for a single speed 4X4. I go where ever the other rigs do except up hill climbs. it is much slower but it gets from point A to point B. without any problems. On the other hand I hope they incorporate the Explorer set up as that it the last of the FORD 2 speed 4X4 besides the trucks. If they do that I also hope JTEKT or FORD will sell the up grades to those of us that want an upgraded possible 2 speed T-Case. Oh after reading the post again my understanding is the '11 Explorer is going to be a single speed 4X4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.