Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow finding this place is like a god send, the dealer keeps brushing me off, I am guessing that is because I am nearing the end of my warranty and they are trying to push me past it.
BTW the dealer has it now.
So hear goes the short list.
1) My gas pedal shudders around 41 mph NO SOLUTION
2) the driver seat seems loose, minor movement like not it is not in the track right NO SOLUTION
3) back window seal replaced first time they put it in upside down, In for second time NOW
4) has trouble finding the right gear, sometimes very rough transistion
5) steering wheel squeaks IN NOW
6) car feels like it is choking or is going to die out when accelerating slowly, most noticeably from a complete stop IN NOW
7) rattling sound passenger side under dash area IN NOW

any suggestions would be GREATLY Appreciated.

I like my escape a lot, but with all these problems and the car being new I am really missing my camry.

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your #1 issue is normal (ABS self test). For everything else, I would suggest finding a better dealer. Welcome to the city!

Here is what I found about the pedal shudder;

20616 2008-2009 ESCAPE/MARINER (EXCLUDES HYBRID) - ABS MODULE SELF-TEST CREATING A SLIGHT VIBRATION IN ACCEL/BRAKE PEDAL AT 12MPH (20 KM/H) AND/OR 42MPH (70 KM/H) SOME 2008-2009 ESCAPE/MARINER VEHICLES (EXCLUDES HYBRID) MAY EXHIBIT A SLIGHT VIBRATION IN THE ACCELERATOR/BRAKE PEDAL AT 12 MPH (20 KM/H) AND/OR 42MPH (70 KM/H) WHILE THE ABS MODULE PERFORMS A SELF-TEST. THE ABS MODULE WILL INITIATE A ONE TIME SELF TEST AT 12 MPH (20 KM/H) AND AT APPROX. 42 MPH (70 KMH) FOR EVERY KEY ON CYCLE. A ONE TIME SELF TEST MAY ALSO OCCUR AT 42MPH (70 KM/H) AFTER AN ABS EVENT. THIS IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE. ENGINEERING IS INVESTIGATING AN IMPROVEMENT THAT MAY RESOLVE THIS CHARACTERISTIC. EFFECTIVE DATE: 01/16/2009

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1z7 ... z0nB9zNnGN

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. It is still annoying, but now that I know it has a purpose maybe I can look past it more. Anyone want to chime in on my other issues?

The dealer just called, I will not be getting my car back today. :(
I dropped it off last night for:
the back window leak, squeaky steering wheel, rattling on passenger side (which has stopped for the last couple days, naturally) and for the choking/stalling/sputtering when I accelerate from mainly a stop.

Hopefully, I get my car back tomorrow FIXED.

BTW, I have already had it in about a year ago, for the white flakes coming from the AC. They didn't fix the problem but atleast it isn't a blizzard in my car anymore.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sounds to me like you may want to find another dealer - a lot of what you describe are just fit and finish issues - I hesitate to call them normal wear and tear, but some of them sound like problems that someone just needs to take a few extra minutes to figure out.

In 25 years of car ownership I've learned what a good and bad dealer can do - find a good one, and you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Find a bad one, and you will be frustrated with your car to no end (even though it really is the dealer frustrating you). Having driven Ford, Chrysler ( :wall: ), Honda, VW and Mercedes I can tell you that the service dept makes or breaks an ownership experience. And the domestics, generally, have a long way to go in the after-sales service satisfaction compared to the import dealers. Although VW was the most frustrating company to deal with by far. My first choice of new car was actually the Golf Wagon, not a mini-ute, but I simply couldn't put myself through a VW ownership experience again.

On the seat rattling - both my previous 2 Hondas and my current Mercedes do that, although my Escape does not. I suspect it is the seat manufacturer that has yet to own up to it. Both the Merc dealer and Honda dealer said they are aware of the issue, and it is not a safety issue, but nothing from the manufacturer to resolve the annoyance as yet (Honda Canada itself does not recognize there is a problem)

There is a possible solution on FitFreak - the Honda Fit Forum - which you may want to try. It worked about 90% when I did it to my Odyssey:

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-gene ... g-fix.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
yeah, #1 is normal. The rattle while a valid problem isnt that big of a deal. I mean not a surprising one anyway. Not like you picked up a high dollar luxury car, so random rattles and stuff appearing over time is pretty much expected. I think 4 and 6 are probably related with the transmission. Please post up what they do and if there is any change. I have these problems myself still. Had the logic updated a couple times and the behaviour comes back every time after the relearn period is done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer had my car for two days and could not duplicate any of my issues with the exception of the back window.

They ordered yet another new seal for it and have started a ...darn I forgot what he called it. Something where they are receiving a lot of complaints about the same problem and trying to get help/a fix from Ford.

When I got the car back I notice the rattle on the passenger side seems to come when I am going over 45 mph. I will have to pay more attention when driving next.

I don't have a problem with the seat moving, it is just sometimes scary, cause if it moves to far there is a possibilty where I MAY lose control.

·
Registered
82 Posts
weird2u said:
The dealer had my car for two days and could not duplicate any of my issues with the exception of the back window.

They ordered yet another new seal for it and have started a ...darn I forgot what he called it. Something where they are receiving a lot of complaints about the same problem and trying to get help/a fix from Ford.

When I got the car back I notice the rattle on the passenger side seems to come when I am going over 45 mph. I will have to pay more attention when driving next.

I don't have a problem with the seat moving, it is just sometimes scary, cause if it moves to far there is a possibilty where I MAY lose control.
so they didnt even update the logic for the transmission for the heck of it as far as that issue went?

First time I got that updated, I just went in and asked for the reflash for that and the one for the 'hoot' of the AWD. They gave me the spiel about having to roadtest for problems before applying the update and all and couldnt just flash em, but I think they just flashed it anyways. As far as the transmission goes, I'm beginning to wonder if its a bad signal from a temp related sensor or something. When the weather is 55-65f it actually behaves OK although not quite perfect. Any colder and you get your #6 as well as some very odd shift points, not wanting to move up a gear when it should like not going into overdrive for a solid few mins at constant cruising speed. Any warmer and it shifts ok, but there is some shift lag/slipping between 3 and 4, 4 and 5 where it is slow to change and races fwd a few hundred rpm. This is with the escape warmed up and running at temp too, so it is sort of odd that it behaves relatively normally in that 55-65 outside temp range.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've been having the similar problems with the trans in my 09. Acceleration from stop was horrible until the car shifted to another gear. Also, it would stall every once in a while while stopping at a red light. The dealer has it now and said it is some sensor inside my transmission and the whole tranny needs to be taken apart. Yay.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have the same issue with my transmission. I absolutely hate it. I've had it to 2 dealers, 15 times .. no one can supposedly get it to shift hard, or experience the transmission shifting up and down because it doesn't know what gear to put it in, and have had it clunk several times so hard that it shakes me and everything in the car.. I have replicated the issues and they stated that it is "normal" and a Ford representative higher up in Florida, since I contacted customer support, stated that my transmission is "within spec" so they will not do anything about it. The dealership gave me a 2009 fusion, several times, as a rental and I stated to them that it's funny how the transmission on that does not have the problems that mine does .. their reply was that my vehicle is an SUV and the fusion is a car so it is different. I told them, "You must think that I am stupid. I know for a fact that they have the exact same transmission and that any computer programming in them is the same, such as the calibration update that you've already done to it. Care to try again?" .. They then repeated the famous, "Well, it's within spec so theres nothing that needs to be done". I've had ti be a safety issue with me. When it plays the i dont know what gear to be in so I'll just shift around game, I've had it launch me into intersections and have had 5 close calls of being hit. Thankfully nothing yet. But, they still refuse to do anything. I'm starting to get fed up and am honestly starting to dislike my Mariner.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
timothyjay2004 said:
I have the same issue with my transmission. I absolutely hate it. I've had it to 2 dealers, 15 times .. no one can supposedly get it to shift hard, or experience the transmission shifting up and down because it doesn't know what gear to put it in, and have had it clunk several times so hard that it shakes me and everything in the car.. I have replicated the issues and they stated that it is "normal" and a Ford representative higher up in Florida, since I contacted customer support, stated that my transmission is "within spec" so they will not do anything about it. The dealership gave me a 2009 fusion, several times, as a rental and I stated to them that it's funny how the transmission on that does not have the problems that mine does .. their reply was that my vehicle is an SUV and the fusion is a car so it is different. I told them, "You must think that I am stupid. I know for a fact that they have the exact same transmission and that any computer programming in them is the same, such as the calibration update that you've already done to it. Care to try again?" .. They then repeated the famous, "Well, it's within spec so theres nothing that needs to be done". I've had ti be a safety issue with me. When it plays the i dont know what gear to be in so I'll just shift around game, I've had it launch me into intersections and have had 5 close calls of being hit. Thankfully nothing yet. But, they still refuse to do anything. I'm starting to get fed up and am honestly starting to dislike my Mariner.
The dealer is correct. The '09 Escape was the first to use the new 6F35 transmission and it wasn't used in the Fusion till '10MY with the 3.0L only.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
timothyjay2004 said:
I have the same issue with my transmission. I absolutely hate it. <snip>
First, take it to a different dealer. It sounds like you've run into two really crappy dealers so far. I'll never understand why dealers treat customers like dirt.

Did you try to have the last two dealers try to "flash" the PCM with the latest updates? This transmission's shifting is controlled by software, and there have been several updates to it. It takes only a few minutes, and you won't even need a rental. Just ask them for the latest shift software.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Last summer they did flash a calibration update to the transmission .. but that's about it. I'm not sure if the calibration update is the same thing as the PCM or not, or if there is even a newer update out for mine.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
There have been several updates since last summer, so it's worth a try.

·
Registered
312 Posts
weird2u said:
Wow finding this place is like a god send, the dealer keeps brushing me off, I am guessing that is because I am nearing the end of my warranty and they are trying to push me past it.
BTW the dealer has it now.
So hear goes the short list.
1) My gas pedal shudders around 41 mph NO SOLUTION
2) the driver seat seems loose, minor movement like not it is not in the track right NO SOLUTION
3) back window seal replaced first time they put it in upside down, In for second time NOW
4) has trouble finding the right gear, sometimes very rough transistion
5) steering wheel squeaks IN NOW
6) car feels like it is choking or is going to die out when accelerating slowly, most noticeably from a complete stop IN NOW
7) rattling sound passenger side under dash area IN NOW

any suggestions would be GREATLY Appreciated.

I like my escape a lot, but with all these problems and the car being new I am really missing my camry.

Thanks
I can comment on your similar issues to my '09 Escape Limited V6 FWD:

2)My driver's seat was loose and moved slighly and clunked every time I braked. The dealer eventually traced the problem to the seat track assembly. They replaced it and it's been fine ever since.

4)My Escape sometimes seems to take too long before it shifts into overdrive. Sometimes there's a loud clunk and jolt when shifting from drive to reverse.

5) My steering wheel also squeeks. Steering wheel column replaced by dealer but it didn't help.

See here for my post regarding the seat track and steering squeek:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3787&p=77442#p77442

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My car goes back to the dealer tomorrow, after two weeks they finally got YET ANOTHER seal for the back window. Perhaps they can just give my a giant bandaid next time.

As far as I know with the other issues, they did nothing. They ran it looking for codes, didn't find any. Took it for a couple test drives and didn't experience any problems.
Over course, I do Chicago driving, while my dealer is out in the burbs, so driving situations are a little different.

My last Ford was over 10 years ago, and I swore I would never buy one again. But I fell in love with the Escape and here I am kicking myself, why did I buy a Ford?!!! Errrr. :taz:

My bf wants me to get rid of it because he is predicting it to be a money pit.

HO HUM.

·
Registered
82 Posts
wptski said:
C17chief said:
jpark said:
There have been several updates since last summer, so it's worth a try.
any idea what the latest version and/or date is?
Recall R10B15 suggests using PCM calibration IDS v65.17 or higher, v66.03A or higher.
yup. just noticed that with the CSP about the transmission. I'm out of the country so dont know if it applies to mine or not yet, but hopefully so. I dont even recall if I have over 7k mi on it yet either (gone a lot and have 2 vehicles, so mileage stays pretty low for me). I *think* I do if I remember right, and actually hope I do so I can get the load test done without begging. When it comes to issues like this, I think a lot of people tend to be very highly critical of even the slightest deviation from normal thus make problems seem a lot bigger then they are. Being an aircraft mechanic myself and being fully aware of discrepencies that cant be duplicated, operation of something that may have an occaisional oddity but still operates fine, etc, I try not to be so critical with problems like that and dont waste time convincing the dealer till something is clearly not normal when it comes to warranty work on the cars. With that in mind, I dont think my transmission performs even as well as a lot of the complaints you see on the boards....to the point that if it is normal operation, I dont see how such a poor performing component could even be released. Anyhow, I'm hoping that CSP will end up being the answer to my issues as that damn transmission is about the only thing that really bugs me about the escape. Guess I'll find out when I get back to the states.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts