Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a a '09 Mariner Premier (and love it) but noticed there were no cargo tie-downs in the back under the carpet - I guess Ford/Mercury thought customers didn't need to secure things in the back anymore :shrug:

Occasionaly, I'll take the propane tank to get filled or some other heavy object that can quickly become a projectile if not strapped down. The dealer suggested I make them myself, and attach them to the bolts securing the wet trunk. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on something to use.

Also, for anyone who has the tie-downs, have you cut slots in your carpet/line to access them or just roll the corners of the carpet up?

[mod]Moved to Interior Mods.[/mod]

·
Registered
187 Posts
I like the dealers idea of using the existing bolt's for the wet trunk. My only question is: how wide [besides the propane tank] do you need the hold downs? I mention that, because those bolts are a little inboard so you would be limiting yourself width wise a bit for other items that you might need to secure.

Or have you considered using some rivets, some metal tie downs [Tie Down Example]and some fabric tape to seal the seams of the carpet? You could anchor the tie downs at the outter edges of the cargo area, cut some slits in the carpet and then have hidden tie downs. Things I haven't considered: Is there enough room on the cargo area for this idea? What about the potential for rust with any unpainted surfaces? Is there enough clearance to even drill and rivet??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to the edge of the cargo area is something I hadn't considered but is worth checking into. I looked at a 2008 model that had the tie downs - they were just cloth loops attached to the bolts holding in the wet trunk too, so I was looking to do that. The example of the clip that you attached seems much more secure so I'll poke around down there to see what is possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Keep me updated. I would love to hear about the end results.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My idea was just to build a false floor out of MDF and attach it to the body using the bolts holding the wet trunk in. There is quite a bit of space down there that you could utilize for storage while making a sturdier floor and providing a solid surface to mount tie downs too. From there you could cut a couple of holes in the carpet and install a few rubber grommets. Upon snugging down the cargo ring assembly it would essentially create a seal. I plan to eventually undertake something similar.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
awptimist said:
My idea was just to build a false floor out of MDF and attach it to the body using the bolts holding the wet trunk in. There is quite a bit of space down there that you could utilize for storage while making a sturdier floor and providing a solid surface to mount tie downs too. From there you could cut a couple of holes in the carpet and install a few rubber grommets. Upon snugging down the cargo ring assembly it would essentially create a seal. I plan to eventually undertake something similar.
Imo, that is a good idea :thumb: . I found some grommets at the Home Depot the other day. D-I-Y type kit. I'm thinking I need a kit like that as I am doing a mod on my Bullitt to put a full size spare in the trunk instead of the mini tire. Using your idea might be a way around my carpeting question of having a bump (with the spare underneath) in the middle of the trunk floor. ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
awptimist said:
My idea was just to build a false floor out of MDF and attach it to the body using the bolts holding the wet trunk in.
I am going to tackle this idea over the winter. I will post more after I draw up a design and make a list of materials over the weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm just going to stop by the Ford dealer and order a set of replacement fabric tie-downs. I though about the suggestions some of you have posted and am not interested in doing the mods - too many other things to modify around the house :) Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, onto plan B. Ford doesn't show those fabric tie-downs parts diagrams for prior model years. They said it is possible it's an item they never planned on having consumers replace...probably why they don't have it on the newer models. perhaps the junk yard will be more helpful,

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was also surprised and disappointed by the lack of tie downs on my '09 Escape. Similarly, there's no cargo net option that goes across the back of the cargo area. Very strange lack of cargo options for a SUV.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Now that someone brought up the accessory cargo compartment in another thread, I may have an answer for 2008+ E/M/T owners. Ford still uses this part of the floorpan for all 2005 and newer E/M/Ts, and that includes the 2008+ redesign of North American models.

My guess is that the four holes used for tie-downs in 2005-2007 models are now used to secure the 2008+ "false floor" that covers the cavity in non-Hybrid models.

You can see two of the metal tie-downs from my (now-gone) 2005 Limited in this picture:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... cargo5.jpg

If those threaded inserts are still there, you can probably still use the metal tie-downs from the 2005 and 2006 E/M/T in place of the screws that secure the "false floor".

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
DaveJ said:
I was also surprised and disappointed by the lack of tie downs on my '09 Escape. Similarly, there's no cargo net option that goes across the back of the cargo area. Very strange lack of cargo options for a SUV.
If you don't have the tie-down loops, why not just get steel S-hooks, bend so one loop is help down by the screw for the false floor and the other end stands up, ready for a bungie hook etc?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts