Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2009 North American E/M/T models finally get a rear stabilizer bar.

I thought that Ford would tie the ends of the bar to links to each lower control arm, then mount the bar above the differential carrier. But Ford did something very different: they welded new mounts for the links to the inner side of each knuckle assembly, next to the spring. And they welded the new center bushing mounts to the lower side of the differential carrier.

Left:

Right:

I'll bet that the sales people at Alex Karras Lincoln-Mercury in Bradenton, FL, are still talking about my drive-by peek-under-the-rear-end-of-the-Mariner photo shoot.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I bet they are going to be looking under it all the time trying to figure out if you did something to it on the underneath side lol

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Eligant design, imo. ;) Then again, I'm not a designer or engineer... :angel:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:bump:

I figured that there might be some interest in the 2009's new rear sway bar, since we now have a lot of new members.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have that! I wish I knew someone nearby with a 2008 XLS 5-speed, so I could drive both and see the differences between the 2008 & 2009 models (different engine, no rear sway bar; is it a different transmission on the manual as well, JP?). The 2009 still feels pretty slow to respond in turns to me -- you can feel the top weight come around about midway through a turn -- but I've also never driven a truck so I have no frame of reference.

Since I'm home today, I felt like taking a look myself, so here is another photo of the two frame attachment points. Seemed easier for me to just go out in the driveway and roll under the car than it would have been to flop around underneath one at a dealership! =)

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...especially when the receptionist turned on the PA system and asked for a salesperson to help a customer outside, in front of the dealership (me), while I was poking around under the Mariner's rear end with my camera.

:shock:

At least I didn't leave skid marks on the parking lot (or anywhere else).

:bill:

·
Registered
103 Posts
haha! next time just ask me to go take a picture =)

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
What would the fun in that be?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
Exactly. I think we should make this a regular feature "Challenge JP".

Your next task JP, is a photo, which you must take yourself, of a Subaru Impreza's Turbocharger. :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Big Chris said:
Scooter Scott said:
Exactly. I think we should make this a regular feature "Challenge JP".

Your next task JP, is a photo, which you must take yourself, of a Subaru Impreza's Turbocharger. :yes:
I concur.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am driving past a Subie dealer this afternoon...

:calvin:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I didn't realize we were making a sport of this. Next time a photo of a part on a 2009 model is needed, I'll still take the photo, but I'll release the parking brake first so I have to chase the car down the street while snapping the pics.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
So where are your results at JP??

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't have time.

:bag:
jbartlett79 said:
I didn't realize we were making a sport of this. Next time a photo of a part on a 2009 model is needed, I'll still take the photo, but I'll release the parking brake first so I have to chase the car down the street while snapping the pics.
:hyst:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
jbartlett79 said:
If you're a real man. You'll be in front of it taking pics. :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Big Chris said:
it'll probably be easiest if i just let it crash into a neighbor's house first. we'll see. plus, it would be hard to take photos of the rear stabilizer from the front of the vehicle :D

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
jbartlett79 said:
Big Chris said:
it'll probably be easiest if i just let it crash into a neighbor's house first. we'll see. plus, it would be hard to take photos of the rear stabilizer from the front of the vehicle :D
See. With negative thinking like that, we'd all still be living in caves, wearing animal fur and dragging women by their hair. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Big Chris said:
See. With negative thinking like that, we'd all still be living in caves, wearing animal fur and dragging women by their hair. :D
well, i practically live in caves anyway. but my wife is averse to being dragged around by the locks :D

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Soooooo JP.... Has anyone researched to see if the P/N for the 08 rear lower control arms are the same as lets say the 07 or 06? They simular... Maybe if we bought the the parts they could fit into any of the models...???... Do you have the CDs?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have a 2009 Escape DVD yet. The DVDs may be going away soon if Ford can get every dealer on their web service.

We may need to get a subscription.

:shock:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts