Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 escape and would like to hook up a few LED bars to add ambient lighting.

Can you someone tell me where and what color wire to splice into in order to connect your own led's?

Im hoping ambient lights go on when the headlights go on?? any information would be great!

cheers everyone!

b

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the City ! :welcome:

badooker said:
Im hoping ambient lights go on when the headlights go on?? any information would be great!
I can answer this question for you. My ambient lighting does not go on when the headlights go on. There is a small button located to the right of the shifter. You press it once to turn on ambient lighting and then keep pressing to choose the color you want. You may be able to see the button I am talking about in this pic.....

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!!!

Colleen is right about Ford's factory ambient lighting. It works with the power window and audio system (Accessory Delay) circuits, so that it will continue to light for up to ten minutes after the engine is shut off, or until a front door is opened.

But there's nothing that says that you can't tap into the instrument panel lighting, if that's what you want to do. Just one warning: if you're going to use the instrument panel lighting, use only LEDs, and not too many of them. That circuit is controlled by solid-state devices with a current limit, and it's part of the Smart Junction Box, which is $$$ to replace if you wire something incorrectly.

If you want to tap into the instrument panel lighting (which will dim, and work only with the headlamps and parking lamps), the easiest wire to find will be the one leading to the 6-pin connector to the floor shifter, under the console. The VIOLET with GRAY STRIPE wire is the instrument panel lighting circuit. Connect this to the PLUS (+) side of your LEDs and connect any ground to the MINUS (-) side of your LEDs.

If you want the LEDs to light whenever the audio system has power (but with no dimming), look for an empty 8-pin connector under the console, near the upper right side of the shifter. This is the factory ambient lighting switch, and it should be in the harness, even without factory ambient lighting. You should have a GREEN with RED STRIPE wire on that connector. This is the Accessory Delay circuit. Connect this to the PLUS (+) side of your LEDs and connect any ground to the MINUS (-) side of your LEDs.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Thanks!

:thumb:

Please let me know if you run into any trouble with the wiring. BTW, if you want to test wiring, don't use a lamp or other high-current meter. Get a $15 high-impendance digital multimeter. You can find them anywhere. I got mine at Lowe's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts