Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Can the front seat horizontal cushions swap sides? The driver's side power seat cushion feels 'sinky' now even at max height. The front passenger seat is firm and even looks higher.

Because the change seems sudden, I am thinking a repair tech may have kneeled on the driver's side worn seat to remove the ignition key--and some support section gave out under the cushion. I found part 9L8Z-7863100-A, but it's discontinued here.

It would be a really inexpensive fix to swap the seat cushion asemblies--IF they are not 'handed'.

Possible? It's part '13'.

Hand Human body Jaw Gesture Finger

Font Line Auto part Parallel Diagram

·
Registered
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid
98 Posts
at first glance, I would say no, the controls for each seat electrics are on the door side, meaning the cut outs for the control actuators would be in different places. if your seats have no electric in them, then maybe it would work. you might have to modify the seat frames though.(mounting brackets on the seat frames are different usually, but sometimes they can be swapped as well)
I would suggest checking salvage yards, and maybe even going back to your repair shop, telling them what has occurred. I hope they are reputable, they should take care of the entire replacement cost, but even if it's only a part of it(parts not labor), that's better than nothing.
last option, fold up a big bath towel, or get some of the actual upholstery foam, and put it underneath the seat cover that covers the seat(I don't know if you have ever worked with upholstery, but it is easy.. It would at least restore you to your expected ride height

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
at first glance, I would say no, the controls for each seat electrics are on the door side, meaning the cut outs for the control actuators would be in different places. if your seats have no electric in them, then maybe it would work. you might have to modify the seat frames though.(mounting brackets on the seat frames are different usually, but sometimes they can be swapped as well)
The 2009 XLT has electric only on driver's side.

·
Registered
98 Posts
my friend, I am used to making things work, even if they are not perfectly interchangeable…
The seat frame with electric only on driver side would probably be the challenge. you might have to cut out some of the foam, drill a couple of new controller mounting holes, or something.

only guessing, it's worth going for it. If nothing else, a salvage yard should have a new front seat to swap for about 50 bucks. shipping will cost you more than the seat if you don't have a salvage yard local.

if you got a free afternoon, I would say pull both seats out, look at them side-by-side… That will be your easiest way to know.

if they are swappable, your friends sit 'on the ground', if not, they go right back in, The driver seat stuffed with some extra foam, with no extra time spent.

if you're lucky, with the seat out, you might notice a hog ring has simply broken or something… That would be beautiful.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
if you're lucky, with the seat out, you might notice a hog ring has simply broken or something… That would be beautiful.
Okay! But what's a "hog ring"? Edit: like a bent lock ring? Also, the seats are identical, I think, except for the electronics on the rack on the driver's side.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
For some reason I thought the passenger seat has a weight sensor of some kind built into it. It is to tell the passenger airbag to temporarily disable itself if insufficient weight is present. When disabled, the yellow light in the center console illuminates. And if the seat is ever replaced some calibration routine must be done otherwise the airbag fault light on the dash will stay on. But I could be completely wrong about this.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For some reason I thought the passenger seat has a weight sensor of some kind built into it. It is to tell the passenger airbag to temporarily disable itself if insufficient weight is present. When disabled, the yellow light in the center console illuminates. And if the seat is ever replaced some calibration routine must be done otherwise the airbag fault light on the dash will stay on. But I could be completely wrong about this.
I don't think my 09 XLT has seat airbags. There's just the electrical adjuster on the driver's side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think my 09 XLT has seat airbags. There's just the electrical adjuster on the driver's side.
It's not an airbag in the seat, it's a sensor that is near the front edge. I believe it is supposed to detect a baby seat, and it shuts the passenger airbag of when there is weight present near the front edge of the seat.
My 2011 limited has this feature. I noticed the "passenger airbag off" light on the dash one day on the way home from work. I had my lunchbox on the passenger seat against the backrest, and stopped at the store for a 12 pack of beer, which I put on the front of the seat in front of my lunchbox, and the light came on. As soon as I moved the 12 pack to the floor, the light went off.

Google search explains it better than I did.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Okay! But what's a "hog ring"? Edit: like a bent lock ring? Also, the seats are identical, I think, except for the electronics on the rack on the driver's side.
The hog rings connect the seat suspension to the seat frame, The foam sits on the suspension.
pull a seat out, and turn it over, there are probably close to 20 of these hog rings visible once you remove the seat skin.
might also reveal what failed.
I think it will be easier to repair your seat, rather than swap them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The hog rings connect the seat suspension to the seat frame, The foam sits on the suspension.
pull a seat out, and turn it over, there are probably close to 20 of these hog rings visible once you remove the seat skin.
The front pass. seat is solid. My driver's seat is mushy and there's a squeak when I press down on the cushion's back left area near the seat back seam. I am betting a technician knee went there when leaning in to remove ign key.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not an airbag in the seat, it's a sensor that is near the front edge. I believe it is supposed to detect a baby seat, and it shuts the passenger airbag of when there is weight present near the front edge of the seat.
My 2011 limited has this feature. I noticed the "passenger airbag off" light on the dash one day
Yes, I've seen that too. I'll see if I can remove a (clean) cushion and frame from the wrecker yard. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts