Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I recently got a 2010 XLT 2WD 2.5L as stated in previous post.
I was wondering what fuel economy do these 2.5L engines get?
I am getting ~625kms in a full tank with mostly highway driving.
Also any suggestions how to improve fuel economy?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
that is 388 miles using...let's say 15 gallons of the 16.5 capacity (so if you reset the trip at the fill up, then next fill up write down how much you put in to go along with the mileage it is more precise).
388 miles/15 gallons is 26 MPG. (or 11.05km/l)

The EPA rating highway for your vehicle is 28 mpg (or 12km/l), so you pretty close to the rated highway mileage (city is 21mpg, combined is 23mpg for reference).

To get better you would need to do things like slower acceleration, better anticipation of stopping and coasting more, make sure maintenance is up to date and tires are properly inflated, but you are likely not going to do much better than that in general.

Reactions: FordMo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
that is 388 miles using...let's say 15 gallons of the 16.5 capacity (so if you reset the trip at the fill up, then next fill up write down how much you put in to go along with the mileage it is more precise).
388 miles/15 gallons is 26 MPG. (or 11.05km/l)

The EPA rating highway for your vehicle is 28 mpg (or 12km/l), so you pretty close to the rated highway mileage (city is 21mpg, combined is 23mpg for reference).

To get better you would need to do things like slower acceleration, better anticipation of stopping and coasting more, make sure maintenance is up to date and tires are properly inflated, but you are likely not going to do much better than that in general.
Usually I fill ~65 Liters. I always get between 600-625kms a tank.
My tires are pretty much new and everything is well maintained. When I'm on highway I usually use cruise.
Lol tbh I thought it would give me better mileage but I guess its not very Aerodynamic...other than that it's a nice little suv

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
How fast do you drive on the freeway using the cruise? If you travel close to 100kph, you will get better mileage than you do at higher speeds. I have a Maverick that produced mileage that surprised me. First tank was 34mpg by the cluster display, and was 340 miles on 10 US gallons. The return was even higher, getting to 39.1mpg, as the engine got a little break-in time.
I was running 64-67mph, so not the fastest turtle on the road...
Tire pressure, air filter, proper oil, brakes that do not have dragging pads or shoes and the handbrake releases completely, and tires that are not excessive in diameter/width.
tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How fast do you drive on the freeway using the cruise? If you travel close to 100kph, you will get better mileage than you do at higher speeds. I have a Maverick that produced mileage that surprised me. First tank was 34mpg by the cluster display, and was 340 miles on 10 US gallons. The return was even higher, getting to 39.1mpg, as the engine got a little break-in time.
I was running 64-67mph, so not the fastest turtle on the road...
Tire pressure, air filter, proper oil, brakes that do not have dragging pads or shoes and the handbrake releases completely, and tires that are not excessive in diameter/width.
tom
Nice to hear about your Maverick.
I do about 110km/h. I have stock tires and change oil every 8k kms.
I think I need to replace the air filter. It seemed like it's time to replace it when I checked.
It's a small peppy engine and the rpms stay around 2200 on highway speeds. I think that drops the mileage a bit...thanks though

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hi,
I recently got a 2010 XLT 2WD 2.5L as stated in previous post.
I was wondering what fuel economy do these 2.5L engines get?
I am getting ~625kms in a full tank with mostly highway driving.
Also any suggestions how to improve fuel economy?
Thanks
I have an 11 with the 2.5 and AWD. In the summer (we have "winter blend" which crushes MPG), I get (U.S.) about 20/21 MPG around town but I haven't taken it on a road trip for a full tank. The best I got with this truck was 24 MPG and that was about half of that highway, so I'd project an honest 26/27 MPG straight highway.

Without the drag of a transfer case and a rear diff (and assoc weight), I'd guess you can hit 30/31 MPG highway reliably.

These aren't very aero for sure and they're not that light either.

John

EDIT: My 2005 with the V6 and 4 speed auto gets 17 around town (summer) and 22 highway...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 11 with the 2.5 and AWD. In the summer (we have "winter blend" which crushes MPG), I get (U.S.) about 20/21 MPG around town but I haven't taken it on a road trip for a full tank. The best I got with this truck was 24 MPG and that was about half of that highway, so I'd project an honest 26/27 MPG straight highway.

Without the drag of a transfer case and a rear diff (and assoc weight), I'd guess you can hit 30/31 MPG highway reliably.

These aren't very aero for sure and they're not that light either.

John

EDIT: My 2005 with the V6 and 4 speed auto gets 17 around town (summer) and 22 highway...
Thanks for the info.
Yeah I guess mine is about 25mpg when I do about 90% highway driving.
I guess I'm not too far from others with same SUVs.
I just put on winter tires. Now waiting to see how much its affected and different than all seasons during summer months.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
John:"EDIT: My 2005 with the V6 and 4 speed auto gets 17 around town (summer) and 22 highway... "

On a highway only trip to CA from GA, I was able to get close to 27-28 on one tank, but I don't drive at the TX 80mph speed limit. Wife unit drives @limit or 5-above, maybe more, so when we'd swap drivers, the mpg difference was almost 5mpg.
Got closer to 21-23 when she was at the wheel. I kind of take it as a challenge to squeeze the most from the gallon of fuel.

That said, winter blend will take a few mpg, and using aggressive tread tires, or going a size up, either will also have negative affect on fuel mileage.
I had to replace tires on a Ranger, 2.3 5-speed. After the old were removed, they found what I wanted was not in stock, as I had misread... They had a 'size up' in stock, and I let them mount that set. Drove home and it was a different truck. It did not want to climb the slightest grade that I normally took in 4th or 5th gear. It accelerated as if there was a couple hundred pounds in the bed, or I had 3 passengers aboard, or all of the above. Dog slow. I hated it.
Went back and got some 'ordered in' tires of the orignal size, and I was/am happy. Cost more, but worth it, IMO.
So. changing tires size and tread may be more noticeable than expected. FWIW.
tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John:"EDIT: My 2005 with the V6 and 4 speed auto gets 17 around town (summer) and 22 highway... "

On a highway only trip to CA from GA, I was able to get close to 27-28 on one tank, but I don't drive at the TX 80mph speed limit. Wife unit drives @limit or 5-above, maybe more, so when we'd swap drivers, the mpg difference was almost 5mpg.
Got closer to 21-23 when she was at the wheel. I kind of take it as a challenge to squeeze the most from the gallon of fuel.

That said, winter blend will take a few mpg, and using aggressive tread tires, or going a size up, either will also have negative affect on fuel mileage.
I had to replace tires on a Ranger, 2.3 5-speed. After the old were removed, they found what I wanted was not in stock, as I had misread... They had a 'size up' in stock, and I let them mount that set. Drove home and it was a different truck. It did not want to climb the slightest grade that I normally took in 4th or 5th gear. It accelerated as if there was a couple hundred pounds in the bed, or I had 3 passengers aboard, or all of the above. Dog slow. I hated it.
Went back and got some 'ordered in' tires of the orignal size, and I was/am happy. Cost more, but worth it, IMO.
So. changing tires size and tread may be more noticeable than expected. FWIW.
tom
Thanks for sharing.
Interesting experience with the upsized tires...didn't know it could have such a noticeable impact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts