Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bot w/220k highway miles.
Garage friend did ALL the service on it.
Dipstick was stuck but got it moving, but only comes out about 1/4" and then feels like it's "hitting something solid."
Tried working penetrating oil into the tube around the exposed dipstick.
Letting it soak now, but what am I up against?
Is the yellow portion plastic which I could potentially break off?

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE: Finally got it out after letting penetrating oil work for some days.

It was not bent or damaged fortunately.

It appears owner never checked it much since I methodically got the oil changed. Road dust like flour filled up the tube above the o-ring forming a "ridge" that it couldn't get past. But when finally removed, this dust got under the o-ring and accumulated in the o-ring slot - after this dirt was worked out, everything returned to normal - I do have to get a small riffle bore cleaning brass brush to work the deposits that are still in the tube.

So far at 220k, and 3 tanks of gas later, this Escape is looking mechanically very solid.

Have a line on a $1000 2008 Mercury Mariner Premier 137k w/leather and premium sound w/sub that owner quit driving 6 months ago. I will buy this if it looks like a sound vehicle - I'm fixating on Premium Sound and found a Mariner at Upull & Pay that I'm wanting to strip out the entire sound system and put in mine but realistically don't have the time and that is probably not a sensible thing to do anyway. (however that project is not dead yet and I've got a thread about it - I hate to see that system "go down" when they crush that Mariner.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts