Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the v-6
  • MAF - not likely since code on one bank
  • Intake Leak - a leak would cause more air than measured by MAF which should result in Lean
  • Exhaust Leak - more air than expected which would result Lean
  • Injector - leaking could produce rich however engine seems smooth and fuel economy good
  • Wiring - hot sure how open, shorted, or static connection would effect reading.
  • O2 Sensor - bad
Maybe 1st thing to do is swap bank 1 and bank 2 O2 sensors and see if code switches banks?

$64 question: Where are they? (Bank 1 near firewall, Band 2 near radiator?) Easy or hard to access? Easy I'll do it. Hard take to garage and hope for best.

If O2, get OE Ford part or aftermarket?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Since the harnesses won't reach around the engine to swap, you have to pull the sensors and rotate them physically. Honestly, they're cheap enough to put in brand new ones if you suspect them (I do). As far as replacement, I'd be happy with Bosch, Denso, etc., but I put a no-name ebay one in my older Tribute and it was fine as well.

There are four in the V6, two before the primary manifold cats and two after. There is a single lower cat after the collector which is not monitored. The after-cat sensors only report on the efficieny of the manifold cats and not mixture, so don't worry about those unless you get an efficiency code. The two you want are in front of the cats. The front one is easy to get, the rear (bank 1) a bit tougher. I changed mine and needed a torch to get it loose.

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did some oxygen sensor research for full time closed loop stand alone engine management systems and was shocked to learn how calibration drifts over time. Tuner guys recal their sensors at least once a year. And then there are dyno sensors and finally laboratory sensors. I found there are at least 3 grades, the highest around $500 a sensor.

Some cars are notorious for required OE sensors. I suspect this is because the OEM is spec-ing a higher grade.

Considering the garbage that the aftermarket gets away with, I get OE sensors. The one I need is $174 retail from Ford (I can get a discount.)

Buddy looked up in Mitchel and the #1 most like failure for the P2196 is the evap can solenoid, then followed by O2 sensor, and then rarely the intake manifold leak.

I think buddies scan tool can plot all this stuff and cycle the evap can solenoid just to be sure what to replace.

·
Registered
959 Posts
You're not thinking of wide band O2 sensors (a whole different animal), are you?

Considering the garbage that the aftermarket gets away with, I get OE sensors. The one I need is $174 retail from Ford (I can get a discount.)
Ford doesn't actually make O2 sensors, they get them from OEMs like Bosch, NGK, and Denso. If you can get either cheaper than the one Ford puts in their bag, that's what I would suggest.

Buddy looked up in Mitchel and the #1 most like failure for the P2196 is the evap can solenoid, then followed by O2 sensor, and then rarely the intake manifold leak.
I would think the solenoid would cause a global rich condition, not a single bank one - but stranger things have happened.

If the truck has a lot of miles on it, I wouldn't be adverse to putting in two new sensors anyway.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts