Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I would be lucky. I thought I would be safe from having to worry about leaks, transmission problems, shaft seals etc. Nope. Brought the Escape in for its' first 5k oil change. They noted a leak in the right front axle seal. They said I needed to make an appointment and have it done during the day as they do warranty repairs during the day shift (I was there at 6pm).

So while they were printing up everything I talked to the service desk guy. I said that I paid $27,000 for a vehicle that needs a seal replaced in less than 3 months. I said I work all day, just you you, and I don't have time to bring it back and sit in the lounge for 3 hours "during the day". I said I would like a loaner for the day and they can work on it tomorrow. I basically said I don't want to drive a vehicle that is leaking. Period. he said it was not leaking that bad and I could schedule something. I re-iterated that the vehicle was less than 3 months old and I was not going to drive it until it was fixed.

he said Ford does not provide a rental unit for this type of repair. I said fine then Tasca (dealer) can step up to the plate and provide me with one. They have an enterprise rent-a-car inside the dealership. he said that he couldn't but "Bruce" the parts/Service Director could do something. I walked into his office and informed him that I had a less than 3 month old car leaking fluid from the transfer case/axle seal. he looked at it and agreed that I should not have to come back and sit and wait for it. he provided me with a car for free, put down that the truck gets done tomorrow by the best tech and to talk to him on the deal.

So at least I got to leave the vehicle there for the fix and pick it back up tomorrow. Not sure how I feel about the whole leaking thing, but at least it is getting fixed now. What a bummer.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Good Luck! The LH half-shaft leak requires the half-shaft and seal but if the bushing is damaged, you'll need a new case half. Unless they have one which I doubt as they have been back-ordered lately, you'll be waiting as others have.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The good news keeps on rolling. Anyone have a schematic breakdown of the part in question or a good description of the issue? That way when they say it is "all set" I can ask if they replaced x and y parts. I assume this is the half-shaft issue that I havew seen all over the place. Starts with needing a seal and then turns into needing a new half-shaft part that includes a new bushing and seal since the part looks to be defective on all of the issues I have read about. Apparently Ford knows about this and they are are trying to NOT fix them appropriately. We shall see. The Elantra rental is a POS.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
sinister mob said:
The good news keeps on rolling. Anyone have a schematic breakdown of the part in question or a good description of the issue? That way when they say it is "all set" I can ask if they replaced x and y parts. I assume this is the half-shaft issue that I havew seen all over the place. Starts with needing a seal and then turns into needing a new half-shaft part that includes a new bushing and seal since the part looks to be defective on all of the issues I have read about. Apparently Ford knows about this and they are are trying to NOT fix them appropriately. We shall see. The Elantra rental is a POS.
I don't see a way to post a attachment, so here's a link: http://www.ford-forums.com/150373-post1.html

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link. I just talked to the dealer. They are going to replace both seals (right and left) and should have it back tomorrow. It may also be the PTU issue I have also read about. Just add that to the list of things to keep track of..

·
Registered
187 Posts
First - sorry to hear that you've caught the leaky transmission blues... I think I'm due for mine by the time spring hits.

What is the PTU issue you speak of though? How many other holes can this tranmssion leak fluid from?

·
Registered
278 Posts
That sucks!!!!!If that happens to me it will be traded in without hesitation and I will never buy a Ford again. I have been hearing nothing but neagtive news lately.

To clarify...I will still buy Mustangs. :yes:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
My dad just gave me a bunch of TSBs for the Escape/Mariner/Tribute. One of them mentions the axle seal leak. I will try to get them on here ASAP.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes there are a bunch of TSB I found so far:

09-22-07 - LH Half Shaft Leak (superseded by 10-01-05)
10-01-5 - New TSB 9change is that they now offer a bushing/seal seperate form the entire half shaft)
09-4-4 - PTU TSB

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The seal and half-shaft have always been available alone but now the bushing is available without getting the case half. The TSB10-01-05 still lists the case half as it can be damaged also. The case half includes the seal and bushing.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dealer called and said the vehicle is all set. Both seals replaced. We shall see how long they last. I will have them show me when I pick it up exactly where the seals are so I can check them. One sign of a return leak and it goes back.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Let me know what they tell you... I will want to look for myself on my vehicle even though it's a 2009. I am getting an interior trim piece replaced under warranty (my second!)

·
Registered
278 Posts
ophiruchus said:
Let me know what they tell you... I will want to look for myself on my vehicle even though it's a 2009. I am getting an interior trim piece replaced under warranty (my second!)
Not to hijack the thread....but what needs to be changes through warranty in your interior. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
One of my rear trim pieces fell off when one of my buddies accidentally gave it his shoulder... and the dealership took that in as a warranty repair. The door for the sunglasses holder started cracking because I used it to hold my magnetic parking pass... and they just got the part to replace that a few days ago.

Shh! don't tell my dealership. :D

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They replaced the right and left front axle seals. That was it. The work order listed the seal replacement, cleaned the axles, checked for any wear and reassembled. Checked for leaks afterwards.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
well, that's good news. hopefully you won't be back in again for the same repair! I better tell my agent that I want a more thorough inspection at my 15k service...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 5 month old 2009 Escape 4 cylinder and the axle seal started leaking. This then began a chain of events that are as follows:
Engine started bucking, no engine light went on
Engine would not shift from 1st to 2nd smoothly- although it is automatic transmission
front driver side axle needed to be completely replaced due to axle seal leaking
took car in and 2 WEEKS LATER, THEY CANNOT FIND THE BUSHING NEEDED TO DO THE REPLACEMENT

they will not pay for a rental and they do not have a loaner system at this dealership. the car is on the lift, no front tires and the engine is in pieces.

I received confirmation dealership this is a wide spread issue and the parts are hard to come by since they are in the midst of a 'remodel'.

I will never get another ford and if anyone buys this car, good luck!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kek7648 said:
I have a 5 month old 2009 Escape 4 cylinder and the axle seal started leaking. This then began a chain of events that are as follows:
Engine would not shift from 1st to 2nd smoothly- although it is automatic transmission
front driver side axle needed to be completely replaced due to axle seal leaking
took car in and 2 WEEKS LATER, THEY CANNOT FIND THE BUSHING NEEDED TO DO THE REPLACEMENT

they will not pay for a rental and they do not have a loaner system at this dealership. the car is on the lift, no front tires and the engine is in pieces.

I received confirmation dealership this is a wide spread issue and the parts are hard to come by since they are in the midst of a 'remodel'.

Ouch. Not a terrific 1st post huh? I will keep checking those seals. It is either a.) fixed and no leaks or b.) not fixed and it keeps leaking. If it keeps leaking I will go back 50 times if needed. Each and everytime I go back I will demand a rental or loaner of some sort. I paid for an extended warranty and I WILL get a working vehicle one way or another.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
kek7648 said:

Sorry for your new car issues. :(

Nothing like this with our car, or any Ford I've ever had, front or rear drive. :shrug:

I'll keep going back to Ford. Better reliability than just about any other car on the road, so your options are limited. Just my opinion based upon big numbers and facts. For comparisons sake. CR, says it's even better than the site below does.

No rah-rah blather, just some info. Check this thread out: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=548&p=80988&hilit=members+numbers#p80988

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.