Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to upgrade my 2010 xlt radio with maybe a radio from a limited that has nav ....

I know the faceplate would have to be changed on my XLT, but does anyone know anyhting else I would need to do to make this happen? I was wondering about this to keep the Ford stuff together so I dont lose the SYNC that I have now ?

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Tomsoxfan said:
im looking to upgrade my 2010 xlt radio with maybe a radio from a limited that has nav ....

I know the faceplate would have to be changed on my XLT, but does anyone know anyhting else I would need to do to make this happen? I was wondering about this to keep the Ford stuff together so I dont lose the SYNC that I have now ?
I'm also a rookie at this. I want to do the same thing you want. Let me know if you get any luck

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Sinister is right, time and money can be used on a btter after market HU. But I would like to further my knowledge in this. Im on the fence on this one. You need everything from the donor vehicle that you would get the NAV from. Youll definitley need the GPS and Front Display Module (the comapss/temp gauge area) The dealership actually may have work on the SJB to let the E know that it has NAV. But let me look into this some more.

Tomsoxfan said:
Does anyone know if a radio with Nav out of a limited would work in XLT ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Temp and direction now on my XLT...

I want to upgrade but not lose any features of SYNC & thought one out of a Limited might just plug in after changing faceplate ?

I went to a few places here in mass and they said I would lose all Sync if i switched over to Pioneer or something else... Im kind of a rookie and dont really understand all the steps and harnesses the other guys used changing their HU by themselves

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Im still looking into it. But the front display unit, I was wondering cause base model E have the it but doesnt function at all and I believe have no sort of contention to it. There are modules that help you retain all SYNC. Look around the forum for PAC module, pricey but worth it to some.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You can keep Sync if you get the MS-FRD1 harness and put in an aftermarket HU that has Audio RCA inputs. It is rather easy to plug-n-play with the harness once you read the instructions and acquire all of the hardware you need upfront.

Once you get an aftermarket HU that has BT, USB/Aux inputs, you will not use Sync hardly ever. I certainly do not. My USB port is now a recharger! I use my ipod in the HU 100% of the time. BT is now through the HU and I don't miss Sync at all.

Seriously don't spend the $$ to get a Ford OEM Nav unit. They still sound like crap from an audio point of view.

EDIT (for JPark) : Base XLT radio sounds like crap...

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I wouldn't say that they "sound like crap". 2009+ Fords use Sony navigation HUs, and that isn't a bad thing. I have no complaints about the sound quality at all.

I have all of Ford's electronic options on my 2010 (nav, Sync, audiophile, rear camera, rear sensors, steering wheel controls), and I use Sync all the time. It's easier for me to say "Radio FM 102.1" than it is to figure out which FM band and which button I used to program it. I can go to forward and previous tracks on both my iPod and iPhone without taking my eyes off the road. I have over 300 songs in the jukebox already, and I can get to any one of them easily.

Ford's system is also completely integrated into the electronics of the car. When my reverse sensors go off, the audio system goes to 10% volume until 2 seconds after the sensors stop. When a call comes in, the audio fades to mute, and even uses my phone's ringtones, then fades back up when the call is ended. The factory rear-view camera is a solid pod of plastic with the camera and wiring completely sealed, not a cheesy metal bracket with exposed wires hanging off the back. The area behind the car is infrared-lighted at night, so that the area behind the car is easily visible, even in total darkness. And My USB port has no trouble charging my iPhone.

Finally, the lettering and markings are exactly the same style, color, and brightness as the rest of the lighted controls at night. It doesn't stick out with different colors or brightnesses, and during the day, it looks like it was designed for the interior. It also doesn't scream "please smash the window and steal me".

If you want to go aftermarket, that's fine, and there are lots of reasons to do that. But don't dismiss factory sound systems as "crap", especially if you haven't actually heard or used the systems people are asking about.

·
Registered
836 Posts
JPark - You are right. I meant that the stocker radio sounds like crap. I haven't heard with my own ears what the Nav "Premium" unit sounds like or puts out for wattage and adjustability. I was typing too fast.....

That said, I don't know how much $$ it would cost to go from a OEM XLT base unit to an OEM Nav unit. IMO, that money could be better spent on a quality aftermarket that offers many more options (albiet some of features JPark described would not be attainable).

Oh and my Pioneer has the exact same "ice blue" colors on the buttons. :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
jpark said:
When a call comes in, the audio fades to mute, and even uses my phone's ringtones, then fades back up when the call is ended.
When I get a call, I only get a generic phone ringing through the car's speakers. Is this a setting somewhere that I can change? Also, the ringing is deafening. Is there any way to adjust the volume of the ringer?

I do not have navigation;I don't think I have premium audio either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
jpark said:
I wouldn't say that they "sound like crap". 2009+ Fords use Sony navigation HUs, and that isn't a bad thing. I have no complaints about the sound quality at all.

I have all of Ford's electronic options on my 2010 (nav, Sync, audiophile, rear camera, rear sensors, steering wheel controls), and I use Sync all the time. It's easier for me to say "Radio FM 102.1" than it is to figure out which FM band and which button I used to program it. I can go to forward and previous tracks on both my iPod and iPhone without taking my eyes off the road. I have over 300 songs in the jukebox already, and I can get to any one of them easily.

Ford's system is also completely integrated into the electronics of the car. When my reverse sensors go off, the audio system goes to 10% volume until 2 seconds after the sensors stop. When a call comes in, the audio fades to mute, and even uses my phone's ringtones, then fades back up when the call is ended. The factory rear-view camera is a solid pod of plastic with the camera and wiring completely sealed, not a cheesy metal bracket with exposed wires hanging off the back. The area behind the car is infrared-lighted at night, so that the area behind the car is easily visible, even in total darkness. And My USB port has no trouble charging my iPhone.

Finally, the lettering and markings are exactly the same style, color, and brightness as the rest of the lighted controls at night. It doesn't stick out with different colors or brightnesses, and during the day, it looks like it was designed for the interior. It also doesn't scream "please smash the window and steal me".

If you want to go aftermarket, that's fine, and there are lots of reasons to do that. But don't dismiss factory sound systems as "crap", especially if you haven't actually heard or used the systems people are asking about.
:thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
sinister mob said:
JPark - You are right. I meant that the stocker radio sounds like crap. I haven't heard with my own ears what the Nav "Premium" unit sounds like or puts out for wattage and adjustability. I was typing too fast.....

That said, I don't know how much $$ it would cost to go from a OEM XLT base unit to an OEM Nav unit. IMO, that money could be better spent on a quality aftermarket that offers many more options (albiet some of features JPark described would not be attainable).

Oh and my Pioneer has the exact same "ice blue" colors on the buttons. :)
What Pioneer model is that? I'd like to get the same install on my 2011 Escape. Do you think it would work with sync...

thanks man!

Mart

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you guys say you kept the Sync functions with a new HU, does that mean you still have the sync voice ? Does it also allow a phone call to come in and shut the radio off like the factory radios ?

The reason I ask is I went to a local shop yesterday and they looked at me like I had 3 heads when i said i wanted to keep the Sync functions...they kept saying the bluetooth on the new radio would be just like Sync

After a while they told me there was a adapter for Sync @ $250.00....The guy said there was a small screen with the adapter and i would have to switch between the radio and when i wanted to use phone or ipod i would have to throw a switch

·
Registered
836 Posts
Take a look at my write-up. I still have the Sync function, but I don't hear the voice. In my system I am not using the factory wiring from the PAC adaptor to the front speakers - which is where the voice travels. In my system the 3 sets of RCA outs from the HU go to amps, whcih means I am not using the speaker wiring. That is why I don't have the Sync voice. I can still tell Sync what to do by my voice command, but I don't have Sync lady audio feedback. I still have the functionality that Sync had for USB and Aux inputs. For the phone, my HU is a BT so now the HU controls incoming phone calls. It works just like Sync did in that the HU shuts off and goes to the phone menu when a call comes in or out.

The other thing to keep in mind is that to retain Sync functionality, you need a HU that has outer Aux Inputs.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Lionheart said:
Hey Sinister, have you heard of anyone using the MS-FRD1 on a 2008 and it working? PAC's compatibility list says 2009 and up :/
I haven't. I do remember that in reading up on the 2009+ changes, I thought I read that some of the harness plugs changed. I think the larger pin (20 pin?) some of the wiring changed for items. Not really sure what they were, but if that is the case, then the MS-FRD1 probably will not work. I remember ordering a different adaptor from Axxess and the wiring did not line up to the pin diagrams that JPark provided. It looked like the Axxess was for a 2008.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does the AVH-P3200bt come Satellite ready or do I have to buy another Add on ?

I currently have Sirius built into my factory radio ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts