Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 2010 Escape w 2.5L I4. Recently turned 150k miles. I stayed on top of most preventive maintenance but never changed the ATF. Fortunately still no problems, but it’s dark like oil and I’m thinking about performing a mild fluid “refresh”. So it wouldn’t be a complete flush, but rather draining some of the old fluid (1-2 quarts) and adding in a bottle of the Lucas Transmission fix with a quart of new automatic Transmission fluid. Anybody have a bad experience with adding the Lucas Transmission fix to the Escape transmission? Like I said, Transmission still works fine, so I’d be adding the Lucas as a preventive measure to try and coax as many miles as I can out of the transmission. Any thoughts for or against this?

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
587 Posts
I’ve got a 2010 Escape w 2.5L I4. Recently turned 150k miles. I stayed on top of most preventive maintenance but never changed the ATF. Fortunately still no problems, but it’s dark like oil and I’m thinking about performing a mild fluid “refresh”. So it wouldn’t be a complete flush, but rather draining some of the old fluid (1-2 quarts) and adding in a bottle of the Lucas Transmission fix with a quart of new automatic Transmission fluid. Anybody have a bad experience with adding the Lucas Transmission fix to the Escape transmission? Like I said, Transmission still works fine, so I’d be adding the Lucas as a preventive measure to try and coax as many miles as I can out of the transmission. Any thoughts for or against this?
Welcome Pizza,
I would not do it halfway, you are liable to experience problems then.

I would recommend a reverse flush(even dropping the pan it is hard to drain the transmission cooler in the radiator), with a filter change(biggest killer of transmissions)… Usually pretty reasonable at a quick oil change/lube place(<150)

I like Lucas products, additives will be good after(tell the shop to add them before they refill), to prolong what life you have in your bands/solenoids.(cvt does not have serviceable solenoids, without removing the entire valve body)

if you have the dough, I would recommend doing the same thing with your brakes, blinkers, horn, and coolant system.(flush/fill)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
It takes 3 drain and refills to get close to 100% fluid exchange. 150k is the normal scheduled maintenance for the transmission fluid. Yes, that is probably too long, and yes, Mercon LV gets very dark within 30k miles, and Ford says that color is not a good determining factor for mercon lv health.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I still don’t like the idea of the transmission flush. If the fluid had been changed every 50k miles or so, then no issue with the flush. But at 150k miles I just feel better with the drain and fill. Going with the Motorcraft Mercon LV...not taking a chance with any multi-vehicle options. Also going to hold off adding the Lucas product for now….will assess that thought again after a couple drain and fills.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deteriorating rubber in the hoses leading to/from the TF cooler is a likely cause of the fluid getting dark with contaminates. I am considering changing them out in my '08
Good luck - I'm not savvy enough to attempt hose replacement of that kind. But I did complete the series of "drain and fills" and now have mostly new ATF in the Escape. My son drove it more than usual this summer going to work - about 250 miles/week - and there have been no issues. It's otherwise well maintained so my hope is that standard maintenance keeps it running through his last 2 years of college - which will put the total mileage around 175k. Then he can decide what to do with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is at 205k now, but I replaced the transmission a while back.
These are not pressure hoses, just small diameter 'rubber' that are clamped on. The difficulty is that it looks like the front bumper needs to come off to get to the cooler ends.

This deterioration of rubber hoses also caused a problem with the brake cylinders jamming up from the crud. When I had to replace a cylinder due to the front brake being locked up, I had them replace all four brake hoses and flushed the brake lines. That is an often overlooked maintenance issue. The glycol attracts water, and brakes lines can rust from the inside out. 'They' often call for 2-5 year interval, or 20k - 45k miles for brake fluid flush.

I hope you like the color ;)
It seems to be a sure-footed vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts