Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Escape XLT w/4cyl engine, 3,000 miles, just bought new a coupla months ago.

Yesterday PS failed while making a left turn from stoplight into a mall parking lot.

I was able to to complete turn into parking lot, but steering was extremely difficult. This could have been ugly on a fast, busy freeway.

Parked in lot and shut off and restarted engine numerous times, drove forward/backwards while attempting to unlock steering wheel. Called roadside assistance and was towed to nearby Ford dealer.
Now awaiting a call from the dealer.

After car was at dealer, I was told steering was working fine. Dealer wanted to checkout car, and I was provided a rental car.

We also own an 07 Mariner w/40,000+ miles--no problems.

I see via the internet there have been power steering problems with older Escapes...

Would appreciate your comments.

Thanx
Dick G

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnx for your response--hoping this is only an isolated problem that can be easily and quickly corrected.

If not, I expect folks on this forum will know and advise me.
Dick G

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
The power steering died on my Escape 2 years ago. It made an awful racket, spewed fluid and then went out intermittently for a few minutes before it died completely. My Escape probably had around 58k miles and was 6 years old. The power steering pump failed. It was difficult to drive but not impossible.

This is the first I've heard of a failure like that on such a young, late model Escape. Some earlier models had a squeak in the steering racks but I don't think anyone lost power assist because of it. Like rehctelf said though, the newer models don't use hydraulic power for the steering. It's a very different system. I'm thinking your case is isolated...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As it turns out....the dealer says my Escape is running good now; however, they ran a diagnostic test and it cranked out some codes that a Ford Bulletin requires the drive shaft to be replaced.
That will take a coupla days.

Glad they ran the test rather than just return it to me saying it's ok.

Thanx to all who responded here.

Dick G

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Good luck getting it fixed up. Hope you get it back soon...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will be getting my Escape back on Monday looks like.

Actually, I was going to buy another V6 Ranger--I had an '04 Ranger, and missed it when I let it go.

I fully intended to get a '10 Ranger, but the more I looked at the Escape--already having a Mariner--it was more reasonable to go w/the Escape that does most of what the Ranger will do, and more. I know, I could haul manure w/the Ranger and just hose it down afterward...but my Ranger had a bedliner and cap, so I didn't do much of that.

Still, I would have opted for a V6 on either the Ranger or Escape, but my Ford dealer sold all he had, and I didn't want to wait.

The 4-banger though is a surprisingly peppy little suv!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is an SUV, really?

I read recently that some folks think that the Suburu Forester was the first actual SUV-but I think others would say it was the old Studebaker Wagonaire...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Wagonaire

OTOH, an SUV was based on a real truck chasis! Not just a cutesy car w/a hatchback!

My opinion.

Studebaker had an interesting line of jeeps and trucks, too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One man's SUV...and vice versa...

"1963 Studebaker Lark Eight Daytona news, pictures, and information
Combining Pickup truck utility with passenger car comfort, this innovative vehicle was the first mass-produced station wagon to offer a sliding roof over the cargo area. Fabricated on a convertible frame for maximum rigidity, the Wagonaire featured a standard 259-cubic inch V-8 engine, overdrive, power front-wheel disc brakes and a fold-down, rear-facing third seat. Purchased new by the donor, this Wagonaire was often used for long-distance family camping trips where its reliability and carrying capacity could be fully appreciated.

Collection of the Petersen Automotive Museum Foundation Gift of Daniel Skidmore

Source - Petersen Museum
The Studebaker Wagonaire

The amazing Studebaker Wagonaire was introduced in 1963. Based on the Lark, it was an amazing mix of a wagon, truck, and convertible. It was a station wagon with a rear sliding roof panel so that you could fit tall objects inside when they would normally stick out from the roof. You could also flip out some rear-facing stowaway seats in the back and open the sliding panel so the rear passengers would enjoy the fresh air of a convertible. But bad things can happen to good ideas,"
MORE ~ Ref/URL...
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... ient=gmail

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, Just What IS An SUV?

Are all SUVs based on a light truck chasis?
If not, is it still an SUV?
If not, should it be classified as a "crossover"?

The Wikipedia excerpt (below) provides a good explanation; and there are numerous other articles online regarding this topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_utility_vehicle

Interestingly, to me anyway, our own Escapes, Mariners and Tributes are NOT true SUVs!

Sport utility vehicle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
"SUV" redirects here. For other uses, see SUV (disambiguation).
Ford Explorer

A sport utility vehicle (SUV) is a generic marketing term for a vehicle similar to a station wagon, but built on a light-truck chassis.[1] Usually equipped with four-wheel drive for on- or off-road ability, and with some pretension or ability to be used as an off-road vehicle, some SUVs include the towing capacity of a pickup truck with the passenger-carrying space of a minivan or large sedan. Since SUVs are considered light trucks and often share the same platforms of pick-ups, they are regulated less strictly than passenger cars under the two laws in the United States, the Energy Policy and Conservation Act for fuel economy, and the Clean Air Act for emissions.[2]

The term is not used in all countries, and out-with North America the terms "off-road vehicle", "four-wheel drive" or "four-by-four" (abbreviated to "4WD" or "4x4") or simply use of the brand name to describe the vehicle like "Jeep" or "Land Rover" are more common. However, not all SUVs have four-wheel drive capabilities. Conversely, not all four-wheel-drive passenger vehicles are SUVs. Off-road vehicle is a broad class of vehicles, built primarily for off-road use. However, this distinction is often not made by the general public and the media. Although some SUVs have off-road capabilities, they often play only a secondary role, and SUVs often do not have the ability to switch among two-wheel and four-wheel-drive high gearing and four-wheel-drive low gearing. While auto makers tout an SUV's off-road prowess with advertising and naming, the daily use of SUVs is largely on paved roads and in urban areas. Such use causes the term SUV to be a denigrating term by owners of "real" off-road vehicles.[citation needed]

Extremely popular in the late 1990s and early 2000s, the SUV's popularity has since declined. Due to high oil prices and a declining economy since the mid-2000s, manufacturers have responded to buyers' complaints. The traditional truck-based SUV is gradually being supplanted by a new vehicle type, the crossover SUV, which uses an automobile platform for lighter weight and better fuel efficiency, as a response to much of the criticism of sport utility vehicles.
So, Actually, The Ford Escape Is Classified As A "Compact Crossover SUV"
-Gunny G

Ford Escape
For other Ford vehicles marketed as Ford Maverick, see Ford Maverick.
Ford Escape 2001-2004 Ford Escape
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Production 2000[1]-present
Model year(s) 2001-present
Class Compact crossover SUV
Body style(s) 4-door SUV
Layout Front engine, front-wheel drive / four-wheel drive
Platform Ford CD2 platform
Related Mercury Mariner
Mazda Tribute

The Ford Escape is a compact crossover SUV sold by the automaker Ford Motor Company introduced in 2000 as a 2001 model year and priced below the Ford Explorer. Although technically it's a crossover vehicle, it is marketed by Ford as part of its traditional SUV lineup (Escape, Explorer, Expedition) rather than its separate crossover lineup (Edge, Flex). The Escape was sold in Europe as the Ford Maverick.[2] It was jointly developed with Mazda, in which Ford owned a controlling interest, and was released simultaneously with the Mazda Tribute. In the United States, Ford's Mercury division released a luxury version called the Mariner starting with the 2005 model year.

A hybrid version of the Escape was released in 2004, making it the first hybrid SUV.

The Escape is built on the Ford CD2 platform, which is in turn based on the Mazda GF platform, which was used by the Mazda 626.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FordEscape_
Body style(s) 4-door SUV
Related Mercury Mariner
Mazda Tribute

The Ford Escape is a compact crossover SUV sold by the automaker Ford Motor Company introduced in 2000 as a 2001 model year and priced below the Ford Explorer. Although technically it's a crossover vehicle, it is marketed by Ford as part of its traditional SUV lineup (Escape, Explorer, Expedition) rather than its separate crossover lineup (Edge, Flex). The Escape was sold in Europe as the Ford Maverick.[2] It was jointly developed with Mazda, in which Ford owned a controlling interest, and was released simultaneously with the Mazda Tribute. In the United States, Ford's Mercury division released a luxury version called the Mariner starting with the 2005 model year.

A hybrid version of the Escape was released in 2004, making it the first hybrid SUV.

The Escape is built on the Ford CD2 platform, which is in turn based on the Mazda GF platform, which was used by the Mazda 626.

Body style(s) 4-door SUV
Related Mercury Mariner
Mazda Tribute

Contents
[hide]

* 1 2001-2007
o 1.1 Safety and security
o 1.2 Hybrid version
o 1.3 2005 changes
o 1.4 European model
o 1.5 2007 'ZC' Escape (Asia/Pacific)
o 1.6 2009 'ZD' Escape (Asia/Pacific)
o 1.7 Recalls
* 2 2008-present
o 2.1 Safety and crash testing
o 2.2 2009 changes
o 2.3 2010 changes
* 3 Yearly American sales
* 4 See also
* 5 References
* 6 External links

Ref/URL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Escape

--
Gunny G Online...

--

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.