Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome to the site cavfist.

I have a 2009 sales catalog and it doesn't clearly say that the system is DVD based. So I am pretty sure the map package is loaded on the machine (which can be updated via the Sync USB I'm assuming.) As far as changing routes in motion, Ford and the GPS manufacture would have to be aware of possible lawsuits from distracted driving. However, on my portable garmin - my copilot can always enter new routes while we are moving. You can always check with a local dealership too.

Oh and the Navigation radio comes with a 10GB HDD and is voice activated plus linked to Sirius's traffic program via the satelitte radio antenna. That's a cool feature as well.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the City! :)

I have an 09 Mariner Hybrid. According to the manual that came with my vehicle, the Nav system will not allow you to access certain functions if you are going over 5 mph. This is a safety feature. Only quick destination functions are available and it will be necessary for you to stop in order to change routes. Also, you can play a dvd while in park only.

When we purchased our Mariner, we were given a book that is totally dedicated to the Microsoft Sync system. You may want to inquire about this book at your dealer.

You may be able to find answers to many of your Sync related questions here : http://www.fordvehicles.com/innovation/sync/?brand=flm

You will also be able to register your vehicle at the above site if you would like. :)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I beleive it is not on a DVD/CD.

Honda uses a system like that and you can update the information/maps by buying new maps from the dealer. Or at least my brothers Oddessy is that way. I don't care for the Honda GPS, or the menu. Very unfriendly imo. Update map CDs are about $600.00 the last he was told. :shock:

I'll ask at the Mazda dealer this evening, maybe they know.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The 2010 navigation unit uses 30GB of the internal 40GB hard drive for navigation maps. I'm not sure how it's updated, though. I'll find out.

The remaining 10GB is used for the MP3 jukebox.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If it's NAVTEC than you can order a DVD or download of map updates that can be installed on a HDD or storage device. I just updated the maps on both my Garmin and TomTom this weekend. Only cost ~200.00 for the both of them together... Gotta love portable Navigation.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Service personnel that I spoke to said that if it's the same as the Mazda, it's updated with DVD's. They run about $285.00 for each DVD. If it's like the Ford, it's what JPark posted above. And the Mazda people are at a lose as to it's specifics. They sell alot of Tributes, but seldom see them in the repair shop. Just too reliable! :thumb: :thumb:

Making changes on the fly is what Colleen posted. Same same. :yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.