Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the board so thanks for any opinions in advance.

Mainly, I don't really need the extra power and could use the better mileage.
The most I will ever tow is an 1100 lb tent trailer, and that is only 2-3 times a year.
Most of my driving is in the city with about 10% off road and 15% highway.

I am just trying to make the best choice for my family and am so conflicted. I have never bought a new car before and have trouble making simple decisions. The V6 is $1599 more so I'm really not sure if it is worth the extra $25 or so a month it would cost.

I am just looking for any advice anyone here can offer on this. The dealership got impatient with me, in a good way and just ordered both with the options I wanted and will let me choose which I want when the first one gets in and just sell the other. At the time I ordered they needed tor replenish their stock. I think I am leaning towards the I4 but just want to gt any relatively unbiased opinions I can.

Thanks in advance for any advice here!

·
Registered
8 Posts
There was a thread dealing with this very topic started a week or so ago ... here is the link in case you missed it:

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4593

Personally I went with the V6 and so far am quite happy with its performance and fuel economy. Heck, I get way better mileage for a much larger vehicle than I do with my VR6.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome to the site.

If you can, try not to think about the car payment difference as the primary reason for choosing between one or the other from the cost side. You need to consider the total cost of both cars throughout their lifespan. Look for cost differences in insurance premiums, fuel cost and possibly higher maintenance charges for labor because of the V6. You also need to consider resale if you are planning to offload the car in a few years. A fully optioned out model will have a higher resale [i.e. V6 worth more than I4.] But if you are planning on keeping the car until it's not drive-able, than resale shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

My personal thought is: Since you were so close to the Tiggy, you might be more happy in the V6 version... It's a touch quieter than the I4 and really has more than enough power so the transition between the Tiggy and the Escape would be more seamless.

That's not to say I'm unhappy with our I4. I love it as a daily driver and family hualer. It's perfect for my wife and I in every aspect. In fact I chose the Escape for my wife because it's so easy to drive and almost comes with every safety feature standard. Makes it easy for her to drive and makes me worry less.

Also, congratulations on the new member of your family.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quoting Car and Drivers recent Small SUV compairison test: "The Mariner (Escape) is your best friend on the highway." Last night I just spent 4 hours in the Escape driving across Michigan to see my father. Cruising at 65 I managed 27MPG avarage... This little 4-banger just gets better and better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cruising at 65 I managed 27MPG avarage... This little 4-banger just gets better and better.
If I cruise at 65 mph I will get 28 mpg, and I have a V6.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Aye, but I has the 4wd system

·
Registered
20 Posts
Once you drive a V6... You can not go BACK!!!! Torque is SO addicting.. and its quieter :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input. Still not sure. I think it may just come down to what is on lots around here. We ordered one from a dealer but they are saying 8 weeks as they have none in stock when there are several sitting on lots a few towns over.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And actually, looking through every dealerships inventory in the province reveals this little nugget: 82% of the Escapes sitting on lots in New Brunswick are V6. Not sure what this means. Either the I4 is moving super fast or dealers don't order them at all because they don't sell.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We ended up buying a V6 off another lot. Picking it up tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just cause I am nosy...what part of New Brunswick? I visited a friend several times in Fredericton during college and have been to see her in Ottawa too many times to count.

Glad you got the V6. I would have too if I needed 4wd...but I live in Houston and have no need to motivate anything but the front two wheels...and my I4 does that nicely.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, I live in Fredericton myself. It IS a small world afterall.

We picked the Escape up today, and 60km in I am really happy with it. Having some issues with Sync though. Won't index my music on my iPhone and keeps switching over to blutooth media from USB without my say so. Will look into that tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found the answer on Sync My Ride. The firmware was up to date but my iTunes library was so messed up that Sync couldn't index my library. Downloaded and ran Sync My iTunes and all is solved!

I now own the worlds most advanced and iPod docking station!

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Sync + iPod is the greatest combination. You'll really enjoy it on those long trips when your car is packed full of gear and you need some music to help pass the time.

Lately though - I've really been digging the Sirius radio. They have some comdey stations that are great fun to listen to when you're in the middle of no-where.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's amazing how far the integration has come since 2002 when I bought my golf...and didn't own a cell phone.

When I first heard the vehicle came with Sirius I though, neat, but I wont be renewing after the trial. Now I'm not so sure.

Maybe get that life of vehicle subscription and try to save some cash. Plus I hear you can deal with the sales people sometimes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts