Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm a little under a month into my 2010 Mariner (V6/4WD) and, although I love it so far, I have a question about how the transmission should feel.

It seems when I'm going up a hill or down a hill, the transmission has a hard time deciding which gear to stay in. It's not like it's shifting around, but I could be going up a hill, maintaining speed and it feels like it shudders just a bit. I can't hear anything, but it feels like it backs off for a split second, just enough for me to feel it, and then goes back to normal.

Also - when going down hills, it seems like it shifts awfully hard when going down (and sometimes up) hills. Other shifts are smooth as silk though.

I'm coming off an 18 year old Blazer S-10 so I'm not sure if this is typical behavior or not, but I figured I should ask.

Also - with braking - it seems like when coming to a complete stop it grabs a little bit, like it's not a smooth stop.

Again, normal behavior or something I should worry about?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
There is a TSB or recall on something like that, Take it back to dealership and have them look up a TSB on transmisson Read this and search for others too http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5712 The braking is probablty something that needs to get used too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it in last week (needed some body work too) and they said there was no code and it felt fine on a test drive.

I'm not sure if they pulled the VIN or not.

I'm going to continue to pay close attention to the tranny, but it seems since I've stopped babying it and give more than light acceleration from a stop, I don't notice it as much.

Maybe when I'm giving light acceleration/maintaining speed, the transmission can't pick a gear.

Oh, well.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
There won't be any codes. Read more into the link above. There is just a shifting program that has to be updated. Find the TSB and go In and tell them about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts