Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My escape has been on order since Jan 4. But after reading on a few other forums and on Google. I am finding out about numerious problems with the 6 speed transmissions. Is the leaks, and the hoot problem really that common? I am a long time Ford owner but if this problem is this serious I am considering canceling my Order. The dealer's service dept says that there are very few complaints. I don't want to end up with a 32,000 dollar paperweight.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Not really a problem insofar as I know. I do know the service techs at my Mazda dealer said they seldom see a Tribute back in the shop. I have a service policy for ours and it's one of only a few that comeback for service. If you check out some of the online service advisors you will see that the 09/10 models are much improved for reliability.

Link: http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliabilit ... mail=Guest

If you go to any site that is model specific, the owners of the vehicles will all have compliants and will air them out with other members. It isn't that the car/truck line is numercially significant or bad, it just has an issue. BRB!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have a 2009 Mariner and have had some problems/complaints about my transmission. The problems occur between gears 1-3. I've had anything from hesitation to shift up and then when it finally does it's a huge jolt, to when it wants to down shift it can't figure out what gear to put it in and flip flops them back and fourth causing the transmission to clunk. I've had it to two different dealerships, as per Ford Engineer request, and they did do a transmission computer calibration to it, it did help slightly but still have problems at times. Have taken it in since, Ford denies that it is not working improperly and that it is working within "spec". A mechanic friend said that if they used the word "spec" in telling me that it is ok, what Ford most likely did was broaden their specifications to cover certain things that might not necessarily be a safety issue, but annoying to a customer.

The transmission and SYNC not working with my iPod touch (it doesnt with any iPod touch or iPhone with 3.1+ firmware) are my only complaints.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The only issue I've had with my escape is the hoot. I'm now 1500 km in and started hearing it at about 500 k.

I went for a ride with my service manager and he recognized the issue immediately. He told me that it can be fixed if I find it annoying enough but that it is not harming anything. I decided to wait until I'm on vacation to drop it off so I don't have to be without it for a day.

Honestly, I really don't notice the sound very much but will be getting it fixed as it is a brand new car and I want to run as such for as long as possible.

Other than that the transmission for me has been great. Super smooth, both up and down and keeps me right where I need to be. I thought I would hate the transmission as this is my first automatic but I'm enjoying it so far.

I am more than happy with my Escape and I am known to be very hard to please (According to my wife :shrug: )

·
Registered
187 Posts
The hoot isn't a big deal at all.

The transmission leak is being fixed.

No need to fret.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just under 3000 miles and going strong!

·
Registered
467 Posts
i'm at 2500km with an 2010 v6 and so far, absolutely nothing on the transmission side... that said, i dont have anything to report to the dealer... it's a near perfect car to date...

very happy with it...

·
Registered
85 Posts
We're coming up on 14k miles on our 2009 V6 Limited and so far so good. The only thing I noticed with the transmission is the response time on hills can be a bit slow but if you nudge the gas the vehicle gives you all the go you need. I know this transmission was co-developed between GM/Ford and it's used in lots of vehicles over the past 4-5 years when it was first released. Other than some transmission re-flashes on the earlier transmissions I haven't heard any bad news.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts