Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, semi-new to the forum here. I just wanted to let everyone know what's going on with a few issues I've been having with my 2010 XLT (29k miles).

- Washer fluid would leak from the nozzles after I used them - I would end up with splotches all over my hood. Apparently there is a TSB fix for this, and I just got the car done today. It took about a week for the parts to get in, but I guess they install a couple of check valves or something to keep the nozzles from leaking.

- I got a tranny fluid leak over the weekend from the driver's side halfshaft oil seal (the same place that the 09 Escapes leaked). The dealer told me that parts should be here in 1-2 days. He made mention of some service kit that includes a revised oil seal, so I'm not sure if this is a different fix than others have been getting or not.

- I have been getting a very deep rattle/resonance in the transmission when going uphill at slow speeds (forward or reverse). The dealer technician rode with me today and confirmed the noise, so they're going to look at it more when they do the oil seal fix.

That's all for now!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll be interested to hear what you learn about the last item. I've got a '10 Mariner Premier and notice a similar symptom - in my case whenever I hear it and glance at the tach. it's always turning about 1500 rpm. Which engine/transmission? Mine is the i4 FWD/6spd.

I've hardly used my windshield washer until now, but noticed the same thing the other day. Did they refer to a specific TSB number? I always like to have as much information available when I visit my dealer.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BobJ said:
I'll be interested to hear what you learn about the last item. I've got a '10 Mariner Premier and notice a similar symptom - in my case whenever I hear it and glance at the tach. it's always turning about 1500 rpm. Which engine/transmission? Mine is the i4 FWD/6spd.

I've hardly used my windshield washer until now, but noticed the same thing the other day. Did they refer to a specific TSB number? I always like to have as much information available when I visit my dealer.
Here is the washer nozzle TSB

TSB 10-13-1
WASHER NOZZLES LEAKING FLUID ONTO HOOD WHILE DRIVING
FORD: MERCURY: 2008-2010 Escape 2008-2010 Mariner

This article supersedes TSB 10-12-5 to update the Part List

ISSUE
Some 2008-2010 Escape and Mariner vehicles may
exhibit the washer nozzles leaking washer fluid onto
the hood while driving. A service kit is now
available for this condition.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the
condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Install check valves and elbows to the hood hose.
Add check valve to liftgate hose. Reverse washer
pump motor polarity and swap hoses at the pump.
Refer to the instruction sheets included in the kit.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
9L8Z-17A601-A Windshield Washer Hose Adaptor

Btw, I also have the I4/6spd engine/transmission combo. It's like a really deep sounding "wuh,wuh,wuh" that I get at low speeds, typically when going up inclines. However, it also sometimes makes the noise when I accelerate from a stop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yep - that sounds familiar - as if it's struggling or straining to move. I generally notice it going up a slight incline at slower speeds, but I've also had it on level pavement where I've had to slow down in slow-n-go traffic, then accelerate. It reminds me of when I was much younger - riding on a school bus to school and the driver would hit a gear/speed point where the bus seemed to "buck" or "shudder" - although not that pronounced.

Just curious - do you have any issues when going from reverse to drive? Mine seems slow to react - I get it back into drive and there seems to be some lag time (more than I'm used to) where it won't start moving forward. I'm sure if I actually could time it, it would be just a fraction of a second. I mentioned that to the dealer at my last oil change and they suggested I have it looked at next time I bring it in.

My impression of the 6sp transmission is that it takes a bit more time to warm up than some other cars I've driven - and until it does, it can exhibit a couple of jerky shifts - especially from 2nd to 3rd. I have certainly appreciated the mileage with the i4/6sp - routinely getting 25mpg around town. Haven't really seen a drop in mileage as we got past fall and they adjust the gas formulation for winter.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BobJ said:
Yep - that sounds familiar - as if it's struggling or straining to move. I generally notice it going up a slight incline at slower speeds, but I've also had it on level pavement where I've had to slow down in slow-n-go traffic, then accelerate. It reminds me of when I was much younger - riding on a school bus to school and the driver would hit a gear/speed point where the bus seemed to "buck" or "shudder" - although not that pronounced.

Just curious - do you have any issues when going from reverse to drive? Mine seems slow to react - I get it back into drive and there seems to be some lag time (more than I'm used to) where it won't start moving forward. I'm sure if I actually could time it, it would be just a fraction of a second. I mentioned that to the dealer at my last oil change and they suggested I have it looked at next time I bring it in.

My impression of the 6sp transmission is that it takes a bit more time to warm up than some other cars I've driven - and until it does, it can exhibit a couple of jerky shifts - especially from 2nd to 3rd. I have certainly appreciated the mileage with the i4/6sp - routinely getting 25mpg around town. Haven't really seen a drop in mileage as we got past fall and they adjust the gas formulation for winter.
I normally don't see any delay in going from reverse to drive. There was one time about 2 weeks ago where I shifted it into drive after backing up, and I swear it took like 3 seconds to engage. However, usually when backing up I will give a little throttle, and then as I roll backwards, I will shift from reverse to neutral. Then, once I've stopped, I shift from neutral to drive. I do this so that there's no possibility of grinding gears by switching directly from reverse to drive, so maybe this has something to do with my lack of delayed engagements.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
BobJ said:

Hi BobJ,

My name is Cory from Ford Customer Service. I have been reading about your 2010 Mariner's concerns and I can see how you'd like to get those issues resolved. I would like to try and see if there's any information I can find. If you send me your VIN in a private message, I can document your Mariner's issues and see if I there is anything I can do to assist you and help any way I can.

Cory

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uber-lame. I called my dealer this morning, because he said the service kit for my axle leak would only take a day or two to arrive. He said that he got a note from Ford that the part is now backordered until January 22nd, 2011. His explanation is that it's still a new car, so parts can take a while to be made.

Maybe this is just my ignorance with supply chain management, but they order these oil seals from the supplier in bulk, right? Why can't they just add a couple extra to the order? They don't really only get these shipments once every 2 months, do they?

I thought it was kind of weird that he told me I could just keep driving it. I suppose maybe if it starts leaking catastrophically, maybe they'll put a rush on the part :shrug:

·
Registered
82 Posts
BobJ said:
I notice the same thing on my 2010 Escape. There is definitely a delay moving from reverse to drive. It's not big, but it's enough you notice when you are trying to back out and get going quick. I've become accustom to pop it into neutral for a second while coasting back before moving to drive.

I assume it is just how it is made. With the transmission being largely software controlled, I could see where this could happen, or even be part of the design to ensure everything disengages properly before changing gears. Overall though, I have no real complaints about the transmission.

·
Registered
467 Posts
jay_esc said:
BobJ said:
I notice the same thing on my 2010 Escape. There is definitely a delay moving from reverse to drive. It's not big, but it's enough you notice when you are trying to back out and get going quick. I've become accustom to pop it into neutral for a second while coasting back before moving to drive.

I assume it is just how it is made. With the transmission being largely software controlled, I could see where this could happen, or even be part of the design to ensure everything disengages properly before changing gears. Overall though, I have no real complaints about the transmission.
Maybe adding more RAM to your tranny's computetr would help!!! :D

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
slavrenz said:
Uber-lame. I called my dealer this morning, because he said the service kit for my axle leak would only take a day or two to arrive. He said that he got a note from Ford that the part is now backordered until January 22nd, 2011. His explanation is that it's still a new car, so parts can take a while to be made.

Maybe this is just my ignorance with supply chain management, but they order these oil seals from the supplier in bulk, right? Why can't they just add a couple extra to the order? They don't really only get these shipments once every 2 months, do they?

I thought it was kind of weird that he told me I could just keep driving it. I suppose maybe if it starts leaking catastrophically, maybe they'll put a rush on the part :shrug:
Hi slavrenz,

My name is Cory from Ford Customer Service. I would like to try and see if there's any information I can find that would help address your parts delay concern. If you send me a private message with the VIN, approximate mileage, and the dealership name I can document the issue and see if there is anything I can do to assist.

Cory

·
Registered
836 Posts
slavrenz said:

Tell them that due to the issue, and possible damage to the rest of the drivetrain, you are requesting a free loaner or rental unit until the replacement part is in. I bet it will be there in less than 5 days.

That is what I did when mine was diagnosed at 5,000 miles with a seal leak. The wording on the report was "seeping fluid". I took that report to the Service Manager and was in a rental car in 25 minutes. The part was ordered in and fixed the next day. Be curtious and firm with the service manager and let them know you intend to have the issue resolved in a realistic time. Or they can pay for a replacement until then...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts