Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
909 Posts
No spray front or rear.
Is it safe to assume it's the pump or are there other failures people have experienced?
There is only one thing that happens when you assume

You must test systems to verify where the problem is. Fortunately, the windshield washer system is not complicated.

first, check fuses… Then you check for fluid in the reservoir. if it's already full, awesome. If you fil it, and it's empty in the morning… That's your problem.

Second, you verify the sound of the pump actuating with the hood open… You can't do this by yourself. If I'm not mistaken, it is one pump for both the front and the rear on your YMM.

lastly, you make sure that if the pump is actuating, it is not pumping out washer fluid onto the ground somewhere with a broken line

don't guess at it… Source of problem will be illuminated by process of elimination
( :

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is only one thing that happens when you assume

You must test systems to verify where the problem is. Fortunately, the windshield washer system is not complicated.

first, check fuses… Then you check for fluid in the reservoir. if it's already full, awesome. If you fil it, and it's empty in the morning… That's your problem.

Second, you verify the sound of the pump actuating with the hood open… You can't do this by yourself. If I'm not mistaken, it is one pump for both the front and the rear on your YMM.

lastly, you make sure that if the pump is actuating, it is not pumping out washer fluid onto the ground somewhere with a broken line

don't guess at it… Source of problem will be illuminated by process of elimination
( :
Just looking for the odds that it's the pump.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check this out: Fellow notices pump does not work when rear wiper motor disconnected. MINE IS DISCONNECTED - mine must have wrong wiper motor in it because the harness connector does not reach the motor connector.

Had this on 2010 Escape. SOLVED! My rear wiper motor was fused, draining my battery. I pulled the fuse. Washer fluid pump still working… A week later I removed the bad rear wiper motor ( on the glass of the hatch), getting ready to replace it the next day. After I unplugged the power to the rear motor, MY WIPER FLUID PUMP WOULD NOT WORK. Today I just now put a new motor back in and WIPER FLUID PUMP WORKS AGAIN.
My conclusion. Nothing wrong with pump, but ground for circut must go through the back motor, ( still worked with rear wiper motor fuse out).
Sounds crazy, but true!

· Registered
109 Posts
Just looking for the odds that it's the pump.
Well, when I bought my '08, it was 10 years old, but had been sitting for a year...
Bought in winter, so I made do with lousy windshield spray, until it warmed up...
Obviously I was getting some flow, at first, but then it stopped: Since I was already down there replacing pax side control arm, it was easy to get at the tank, pump & tube: found it clogged; cleaned out, and been good for years!
If you have a quiet place to test it, get a friend to sit in drivers seat, while you get your head under the right side fender (have the wheels turned hard to the right so you can get your ears closer, but not with engine running) have them activate the wiper/pump switches, and see if you hear anything...there are 2 switch positions for front spray, as well as for the rear!
If you need to replace pump, I think you go in from the wheel well; check YouTube for vids.

Good Luck!

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

Pump works fine when rear motor connected.

Loom connector was not too short, the loom was mashed up under the motor bottom cover - once freed and straightened, connected just fine.

Also replaced dead motor w/one from the P&P hatch I recently got.

Wiper arm was split and separated from the sleeve. Epoxy repaired and is holding - am optimistic it will last.

The plastic escutcheon washer that covers the large nut on the motor shaft was split open. Had some large heat shrink tubing that just fit over the washer when stretched. Since washer snaps over nut, something elastic was needed.
Then sealed/caulked the washer with Geocell polyurethane sealant because otherwise, this washer would actually hold water around the nut and accelerate rusting - sealed, it should now protect nut from water/rusting.

Now everything is working, rear wipers and spray.

RE: glass:
Defroster Traces: half my defroster traces are open and not working.

Hinges: I didn't swap out the glass because need to decide what to do about severely corroded glass hinges. The hinges on my Escape have completely shed their powder coating and are severely pitted - the P&P hatch is just as bad. Need to get some replacement hinges before doing the glass replace. I found some on Amazon that claim to be Steel (!) ??? My 2010 Escape has had the hinges replaced once already and needs those replaced now. Water leaks through the hinge fastener hole in the glass and will make a fair sized puddle inside when it rains (there is a rubber mat in the back otherwise water would simply soak into the carpet.) Need to see what people know about replacement hinges before make choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts