Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

2010 XLT Tires: All Terrain NO, but what?

986 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Mountain Escape 
#1 ·
Previous owner had A/T on it, had to R&R wheel and totally amazed at how heavy the tire was.
Tire Weight is extremely bad for handling.

Read up on A/T and found they don't have the tread life and also poorer fuel economy.

My interest is handling (and yes, I'd like to lower my gen2 but since a "truck" aftermarket is a bout lifting (ugh.)

So I'm thinking All Season and then there are Light Truck tires.

Stuff sidewall is good for turn in and responsive steering.

Definitely do not want high performance summer tires.

So what do people use? (and of course something not high priced)

#2 ·
I would strongly recommend getting on tire rack, and doing side-by-side comparisons. All of the data is on the website about tire, unmounted weight, and treadlife warranties… You can find some thing that is a happy middle ground for you.
I would stay away from light truck tires, they are typically a heavier ply, you only need a 'p' or standard load tire. As in P235/70/16.
you get what you pay for with tires. Whether it is all-terrain, or all season, you will sacrifice treadlife mileage for a cheaper price.

you do not need a super high speed tire, but an H speed rated tire will have stiffer sidewalls than a S or T rated tire.
I personally have run Kumho Kl-51 tires that had 70,000 mile tread life, and perform well in half payment situation, and inclement weather.

Heavier tires don't necessarily affect handling, as much as performance.

#3 ·
I would strongly recommend getting on tire rack, and doing side-by-side comparisons. All of the data is on the website about tire, unmounted weight, and treadlife warranties… You can find some thing that is a happy middle ground for you.
I would stay away from light truck tires, they are typically a heavier ply, you only need a 'p' or standard load tire. As in P235/70/16.
you get what you pay for with tires. Whether it is all-terrain, or all season, you will sacrifice treadlife mileage for a cheaper price.

you do not need a super high speed tire, but an H speed rated tire will have stiffer sidewalls than a S or T rated tire.
I personally have run Kumho Kl-51 tires that had 70,000 mile tread life, and perform well in half payment situation, and inclement weather.

Heavier tires don't necessarily affect handling, as much as performance.
Thanks for the info, didn't realize TR had tire weights.
Weight is a big deal since unsprung mass.
I do like the idea of 16's which are cheap relative to 17's (although they could use lower profile tires which would handle better.)
I'll check TR but on tires-easy.com, there were no All Season available. (I hope that isn't the case.)
Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
Was on TR and couldn't fine tire weights.
but looked around and found them at tiresize.com

Also checked out the Linglong Crosswind A/T 235/70r16 that are on my XLT right now and they are 34.84# which is on the high side.

The lowest weight I could find was 25 and a number at 27 including A/T.

I still have tread left for another winter, but I'm going to troll for some nice used ones...

If I could drop 10# per wheel that would be insane (!)

#5 · (Edited)
You can also drop your tire size a little bit, the smaller the tire, the smaller the price tag too
I ran 235/70/16 in the summer, 225/65/16 in the winter. Both sizes were compatible with the donut spare OD

be aware, dropping tire size will change speedo/odo, but as long as all four are the same you have no issues.

pretty sure tire rack shows individual tire weight, maybe you have to put it in the shopping cart to see the weight of four?
I am pretty sure they show individual tire weight, and OD

researching tires, I was always surprised that a 235/ 75/16 was different overall diameter from different manufacturers

Same with 35 x 12.50/15's for my old CJ 7
Some 35s only measure 33 1/2

buying the cheapest tires there are, are you going to be doing good to get 30 K treadlife
So do the math, are buying the cheapest tires out there worth not spending another hundred dollars to get 70,000 miles tread life?

I remember the good old days when I could get 4, 13 inch tires for my VW...
$105 installed… lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.