Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. My 2011 Escape 6cyl 4wd shifts smoothly, but it seems to rev quite a bit higher going from 1-2 and 2-3 than it does in higher gears. I hit about 3500rpm to shift from 1-2 and about 3200rpm to shift from 2-3. After that, it seldom makes it to 3000rpm before shifting up. I don't detect a transmission "flare", it's just a steady increase in RPMs that seems to me to go too high. Is this normal? I had assumed from the several TSB covering transmission issues in previous years that the flare wouldn't be in issue in a 2011 vehicle.

thanks for any advice
Mike

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well, mine does that especially when is Cold...when it warms up it does the shifts as smoothly as in higher gears.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
molanojuan said:
Well, mine does that especially when is Cold...when it warms up it does the shifts as smoothly as in higher gears.
+1

I noticed shift delays esp. with first and second gears on my way out of work about two hours ago, but it's nothing unusual to me.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
When cold it is normal and welcomed to notice some delay in shifting.The transmission temperature sensor does its job, other wise the car would not pull normal.
Now, the 3500 revs on a flat-horizontal level road seem a bit excessive to me.
I have no practical experience with the new automatic transimission and I would mention it to the dealer's mechanics.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I paid closer attention to my shift points since reading this thread. Mine's an '05 V6 and it shifts between 1 and 2 and from 2 to 3 at around 2000 RPMs, give or take, somewhere between 1800-2200 RPMs. My foot's light on the throttle and I keep up with traffic on acceleration. Yeah, I also find 3500 RPM a little high.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
My Escape did a very high-laggy rev from 2-3. It was partially alleviated when I had them add fluid to the trans - it was somewhat low. Safe, but low. One tech had mentioned that they were deliberately running them less than full on fluid to avoid problems when flat towing the vehicle. I don't do such things, so I had them top it off. Cold shifting was much improved.

My father's 2010 (same drivetrain) was never serviced and has much harsher, longer shifts than my vehicle.

·
Registered
467 Posts
there was a tsb and reprogram of the 6 speed tranny last year and they flashed my 2010 at that time, maybe your father'S car needs it...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Gbrown is right, the tranny is computer controlled, as I am learning on my E since getting an SCT X3. I can actually change all shift points, and MANY other things not pertinent to this thread. You can do the ol' remove the NEGATIVE battery terminal for 15 min then reapply and have the tranny relearn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts